How can we use RS link Gateway as remote OPC server for Cimplicity HMI OPC client

nitin.salvi

I want to communicate Cimplicity HMI 6.1 service pack 4 with RS link Gateway which is installed on remote PC . In detail ,I have Local PC "A" having installed Cimplicity HMI & selected OPC client protocol for my project & on Remote PC "B" , RS link Gateway is loaded that I want to use as Remote OPC server. Please suggest me any document which will give detail idea for configuring Both Local & Remote PC for successful communication between my OPC client and remote OPC server.It very urgent........

I have checked by using Kepware OPC server & Its working successfully .But i want to check above schenario by using RS Link gateway as remote OPC with Cimplicity client. Can i use same DCOM setting with RS Link , also tell me configuration involve at both end i.e. OPC server PC & Cimplicity Client End .I will check Rockwell site also,but if you have worked earlier in this schenario please help me .

I have checked Rockwell Site by creating new user But when i tried to access the Document then it is giving messgae " Not available at this time " What to do next ?

DCOM is a Microsoft thing and allow OPC Clients and servers,because they are designed on COM+ technology, use it. Some applications willnot allow remote connectivity but if they do then DCOM Security permissions must be set for them. DCOM must be set on both PC's because the Security is applied to both the OPC Request and the OPC Response.

That said, yes the same settings should be able to be used with any OPC connection between any OPC Client and server. The reason we recomend use the documentation of the manufacuter is that they will sometimes require applications to run under special accounts and those need to be addressed when setting DCOM security.

Fred,
Suppose if i will use Kepware OPC server with Cimplicity client then tell me configuration involves at Both end for the following schenario.

Schenario 1:
I have PC connected in Domain "A" in which cimplicity is installed alongwith Kepware OPC server . If I want to Tap data from AB PLC which is on another domain / workgroup say "B" then how can i do this? Presenlty we have already estabilshed connection between Both domain by creating some firewall setting.Tell me which port should i open in firewall so that i can have access to PLC in another domain or workgroup.

Schenario 2 :

I have PC connected in Domain "A" in which cimplicity is installed. And on another domain say "B" we have Kepware OPC server loaded.Then how can i access kepware server data from another domain ?

Please tell me which schenario should i select to tap data from AB PLC whcih is on another domain ?

The communication Protocol used to talk to the PLC only requires that a valid ethernet gatewar and fireware portals exist to allow that connection. OPc is used to connnect from the sever to Cimplicity and the server will typically be running on the same PC as the HMI/SCADA.Doing an OPC connection between Domains requires an OPC Tunneler application of some kind. Connecting an OPC Client and Server when one is in a domain an done is in a work group require extra DCOM settings to be done.

If you take a moment to read the DCOM Configuration document that is posted at the Kepware website you will see the ones that we recomend. Those are the settings that work with Kepware products.

You will have to check with Rockwell if our settings do not also work when applied to their products.

This is a great time to point out that an OPC tunneller is the right way of doing this. Besides saving you money on RSLinx Gateway/Pro, it'll save you Windows DCOM security headache, and will actually be secure.

I believe our friends at Kepware and Matrikon both provide such products as well as a few others.

Thanks for suggesting OPC tunnler .i have tried by using Metrikon OPC Tunnler & it was successful.Just tell me what are configuration invlove in FIREWALL IF the two different Domain connected through hardware firewall . Should i use OPC tunneler & also tell me which port should i open in hardware firewall so as to communicate with RS Link in other domain.

You can choose any single port you want - that's the big advantage of an OPC Tunneler. I would choose one of the Dynamic and private ports, between 49152 and 65535, say 50,000. Using DCOM across the network will not work with any reasonably configured firewall and it's not secure.

The idea is that you run the OPC Tunneler on both ends. It will create a secure connection over that single allowed port of your firewall. Your firewall can be very restrictive, only allowing communication between the 2 known addresses over that port.

Thanks for suggesting OPC tunnler .i have tried by using Metrikon OPC Tunnler & it was successful.Just tell me what are configuration invlove in FIREWALL IF the two different Domain connected through hardware firewall . Should i use OPC tunneler & also tell me which port should i open in hardware firewall so as to communicate with RS Link in other domain.