Factory Talk View SE fail to load HMI server

MALRDG

Hi to all those FTView SE users

I do not seem to be the only person having issues with SE!

Version: FTView SE 5.10

When I attempt to open an existing project I get a popup which reads "Fail to load HMI Server service".

When I try to create a new project I get:
"New Server Initialze, Project creation: Cannot Access the TagDatabase Subsystem"

I did have a few issues with the installation of this version on a new PC and it might be that I have Windows (XP SP3) security/user issues, however all other functions/tools and the RSLinx side seem to be all OK. The SE Server Manager indicates that the Service status is "Started".

Any comments will be appreciated

I had that exact problem when I first "upgraded" from 4.0.

Make sure your factory talk directiry is properly configured. Make sure that your microsoft .net framework installation is up to snuff.

Reboot.

Reboot again.

Uninstall.

Re-install.

Reboot.

After a few weeks of having all sorts of problems with 5.10 (5.00 would never successfully install), I finally had to have my IT department run a .net framework utility on my machine to straighten out the problems that FTView caused during install (even though I followed all the instructions carefully).

At first, it would only run for an hour or two and then crash, lock up or vanish from view. At times it would not restart until I rebooted.

It seems to run better for me as time goes by. Now 5.10 runs for several hours at a time, sometimes all day without crashing.

Occasionally, it will simply vanish from the screen, but I can simply restart it.

Okay, now I need to go find a rabbits foot and knock on wood...

I had a similar problem with ME version here is what my local rep had me try:

shut down FactoryTalk

browse out to your project - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects\

delete (or rename I just put "-delete" after filename) RDMDATA in the "cache" directory

delete (or rename) .CAC file in "tag" directory

Then restart FactoryTalk and the tag database gets rebuilt.

Thanks I will take that on board and try again

It seems that I might have a problem with an installation file VBAOF11.msi and/or VBAOF11I.msi because these seem to fail during installation.

After working with Siemens WinCC for most of the last 2 years (which has its own issues of course), however I am fast getting fed up with Rockwell Factory talk with all of its network and enviroment security and background intergrated services. It seems to be so fragile.
Then I could go on about all the firmware issues with RS!

Sorry.....better have a cup of tea and a lay down.

Solution and it works (for me)

I have had the same issue for months. I have even reformatted my PC. The .NET repair utility worked perfectly for me. The file name was NetFxRepairTool.exe and I googled it to find the download from Microsoft. It worked for about 15 seconds and, for now at least, my FTView is working perfectly. I did not receive the could not start server error. I am not sure if I can post a link but here is a link to where I downloaded the .NET fix, although I recommend you make your own search to try to assure you get the most current utility.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

U r exactly right, the problem was with .NET only. Actually I did uninstall my factory talk and installed again with .NET. Still the problem was there. I had no idea about this .net repair utility and I dint get any reply from this forum that time. So we go for ROCKWELL client, he came, the PC was formatted and FACTORY talk version6 was installed. problem solved and running ok.
Thank U Mr.Katriel. thanks for the information

HMI Service Failed

Even I had same problem while I was working on SE. My DB was sql. But this sipmle trick will solve the problm. No need to uninstall any software..

[FONT=&quot]68481 - HMI Server Services Fail to Load in FactoryTalk View Studio[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Problem[/FONT]

One of the following error messages appears when trying to open an application in FactoryTalk View Studio:

• Failed to load HMI Server service[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Cannot connect to addin object, Name: Application Handler, Cause: 80042089[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Server verification has failed,[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Studio may hang on opening (while loading services)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Failed to instantiate service[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Failed to load data server rshmi.tag server[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Failed to initiate the service RSHmi.HmiDlgReadservice.1[/FONT]
The following error message appears when creating new local (standalone) or network (distributed) application

• Failed to instantiate HMI Server[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Failed to initiate the service hmi.derivedtags.1[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Alternately, Studio may hang on opening (at around 70%) without any error message.
This behavior is observed on a busy system, typically a laptop, that is simultaneously running services associated with various software applications ranging from:

• [FONT=&quot]Third party VPN services[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]iPod services[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]CAD software[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]a variety of third party HMI software, such as: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]iFix[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Siemens[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Wonderware, and etc.[/FONT]
In addition, the following error message has also been seen in association with the root cause described below:
Cannot connect to addin object[FONT=&quot]
Name: Application Handler
Cause: 80042089[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Environment[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Microsoft Windows XP Professional[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]FactoryTalk View SE 5.x[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]FactoryTalk View ME 5.x[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Solution[/FONT]

Warning - This solution only applies to Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server. Do not apply this to any other operating system. Doing so could cause the computer to become non-operational.
The behavior is caused by the system running out of so-called desktop heap. Aside from a visible desktop that hosts windows, menus, hooks strings, etc. there are also invisible desktops running under non-interactive Windows stations. These can be thought of as a collection of desktops associated with different processes.
All Rockwell services, and there are a number of them, run under LocalSystem account and that the checkbox Allow Service to Interact with the Desktop is not checked.
As such, Rockwell services require desktop memory from the special section of the desktop heap memory which is limited to 48Mb. The memory from this pool is assigned to the requesting non-interactive services in 512Kb portions by default.
However, the system-wide buffer of 48Mb is also serving other types of third party services:

• [FONT=&quot]Some services may also be running under LocalSystem.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Some may be running under different user account context and with services being allowed to Interact with the Desktop.[/FONT]
On a busy machines, the total desktop heap might be exhausted prematurely, before Rockwell (non-interactive services) has a chance to allocate required desktop heap for their own needs.
[FONT=&quot]Desktop Heap Allocation in the Registry[/FONT]

The size of each desktop heap allocation is controlled by the following registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows
[FONT=&quot]Default Registry Value[/FONT]

The default data for this registry value will look something like the following (all on one line):
%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe[FONT=&quot]
ObjectDirectory=\WindowsSharedSection=1024,3072,[FONT=&quot]512[/FONT]
Windows=On SubSystemType=WindowsServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=OffMaxRequestThreads=16[/FONT]
The solution is to modify the SharedSection value (highlighted in the registry key above) by increasing its third value (highlighted in blue) from 512 to 1024. The modification has been already included in the attached registry key. After the registry is applied, a reboot is mandatory.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]References[/FONT]

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=184802
http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/01/04/desktop-heap-overview.aspx
File Attachments

Thanks,
Mrunali

Thank you Mrunali for the information.
I had posted the issue quite some time ago and I have since found information similar to what you have suggested. You are correct, that has resolved the problem.
Thanks again

I do have faced the same problem but after restarting twice thrice the PC, problem got resolved. I off all the process related with it.

Rebooting in case of SCADA stays loading or not coming in service

I am mostly get solve this problem through complete reboot.

Even not solve then needs to check further points.

1. Windows Remote routing service should be started.

2. Verify that necessary license activation is available on Primary SCADASERVER if concurrent activation then add activation server through FTview Activation manager

3. Close also clients and SCADASERVER primary and secondary. Only on clients Clear all temporary internet file generated in Temp internet file folder in Local settings folder

4. Start Primary SCADASERVER

5. Open FTView Studio on Primary server only and check SCADA application is in service properly

6. Start Secondary SCADASERVER, ensure again that it comes standby

7. Afterthat can start clients.

Most of the time needs Reboot completely.

Hope above tips will be helpful

I seem to be having the same problem, although I have installed avg antivirus and according to it I have had a few Trojan horses, is this the antivirus mistaking FTV files for viruses or will it do that whilst it's scanning?

I have had success tracing my Factory talk problems (the MANY I encounter daily) by using EVENTVIEWER it's like the old Dr Watson.

eventvwr.msc

but just type event in search bar of start menu and it comes right up.

troll through applications and you will see NORMAL events and very likely lots of red X's with words you will come to loathe. like "FACTORY TALK" and "DIRECTORY SERVICES".....

This is how I found out that after renaming my computer (for a duplicate but different named customer's site #2) that my instance of Sqlexpress 2008 r2 was failing. After round 2 of reinstalling FT and Sql (as instructed to do by Allen Bradley phone support which didn't help BTY) I found the SQl instance logon failed.

Turns out under services.msc there is a password field within the instance of SQL that failed to be updated.

And I was told to disable antivirus software just for the time you install. I also use AVG but no warning about Trojans.

So if you installed any factory talk components without FIRST disabling AVG, Rockwell support told me it WILL cause problems.

.....of course my disabling, uninstalling and re-installing didn't fix anything..... but I did what they told me to do.

They specifically mentioned AVG will cause problems if installing FT while AVG is running

And lest I state the obvious you can only use windows firewall (no 3rd party) and have to use the AB firewall configuration tool.

According to avg I had a virus in my system directory works fine now took, I actually installed avg after FTV because I noticed my machine was running exceptionally slow, I will keep that all in mind mme_masi but no need to sweat any more it works :D

I'm coming from FT view SE 11 and when I open FactoryTalk view SE " Failed to In stantiate the service Rshmi.hmidlgreadservice.1. " occur....

Please help with this error.