Estop Pull Cord Schematic Symbol

Tim Ganz

I have some AB Lifeline 4 Estop pull cords that I need to add to a drawing. Does anyone have an AutoCAD symbol for a device like this that they could share?

I have some AB Lifeline 4 Estop pull cords that I need to add to a drawing. Does anyone have an AutoCAD symbol for a device like this that they could share?

Are you talking about a symbol for a ladder diagram?
I couldn't find any in my JIC list. When I don't I modify an existing one. As long as you have a text explanation don't sweat it.

PS.JPG

Labeling is always a good practice, you never know whether Bubba understands a particular symbol or not. But as much as possible following a standard and using the right symbol is also a good practice. This is the correct NFPA/IEEE315/JIC symbol.

If you are doing control system design then you need a copy of NFPA 79 Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery on your desk.

TC815141.jpg

Last edited:
The pull cord switch I have is AB Lifeline 4. I have attached a symbol I wanted to get opinions on.

This is a dual channel estop relay so dual N.C. channels through the pull cord switch and a single N.O. contact to give the plc indication that the pull cord was triggered.

Thoughts? Is the file I have attached the way it should be drawn?

First, make the little T a touch bigger, think about how that is going to look scaled to your normal plot size. It is always wise to print a few examples when you make a symbol and make sure it is all readable and proportioned. The viewer may not know if this device is a pressure switch, limit switch or a "rope safety", so making the distinguishing mark clear as possible helps.

Add terminal numbers to match the device, and since it is one mechanical unit, enclose the whole thing in a dashed line rectangle. I would also leave room for another line of text for a description or location to go along with the device name. I normally put terminal numbers in parenthesis slightly smaller text than wire numbers and located below and to the inside (device side) of the terminal. Some folks put them in circles, and if I am working with some existing standard I will go with that.

Tim, that looks OK except that on the third contact, the N.O. contact, you used a limit switch symbol. Put triangles on both sides. As Paul suggested, making the T a little bigger won't hurt. The file that I sent you had attributes in the block that labeled the terminals. After you insert the block you can edit these attributes to match the device terminal numbers.

Tim, that looks OK except that on the third contact, the N.O. contact, you used a limit switch symbol. Put triangles on both sides. As Paul suggested, making the T a little bigger won't hurt. The file that I sent you had attributes in the block that labeled the terminals. After you insert the block you can edit these attributes to match the device terminal numbers.

What would you suggest to use on the 3rd contact? A N.O pushbutton contact symbol perhaps? Or should I also use the pull cord symbol on the 3rd contact?

Use the same pull cord symbol you used on the N.C. contacts, just draw it open. See the top image in post #7. You used a limit switch symbol with only one triangle on it.