Controller with Wireless Modem

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear Friends,
I have a small project of water wells. I need to transmit waters wells data to client PLC within 2 Km range by using wireless data modem in very remote area. 3G/4G options are not acceptable by client. They focus only on Wireless modem. Could you advise me how to do it and what brand we shall take for this project?

Can you get line of sight between the points?

We use Phoenix Contact TWE series for 900MHz license free systems due to their high reliability, but they're not inexpensive. They can tolerate some obstacles to the radio path at short distances. We have used Ubiquiti nanostations for short distances with clear line of sight.

Like OkiePC says, Phoenix Contact TWE 900Mhz or Banner DX80 900MHz for use in the US. Both are wired-in/wired-out for ease of use.

I'd use the Yagi antenna at the field node end and a high gain omni on the gateway end (if there are multiple field nodes).

Friends, thanks for your valuable advises. We are doing this project in such a region where 900 MHZ is not allowed, but 2.4 GHZ devices are allowed, Please let me know, what is the difference between 900 MHZ and 2.4 GHZ to use with PLC data transmission. Client is comfortable if data get in pockets, not online monitoring.

I think you will have a hard time getting the link established with 2.4ghz radio's, you did say 2km? However, if it is perfect LOS you might.

900 mhz is license free in the United States, where is this location that 900 mhz is not allowed?

Ubiquiti is widely popular also, that is the brand we use due to cost.

I think you will have a hard time getting the link established with 2.4ghz radio's, you did say 2km? However, if it is perfect LOS you might.

900 mhz is license free in the United States, where is this location that 900 mhz is not allowed?

Ubiquiti is widely popular also, that is the brand we use due to cost.

We have this project in Gulf countries. As per our calculation ariel distance is not more than 1Km.

Might want to look at WIMAX technology, as well. WIMAX is much better at long distances.

It's theoretically possible to do long distance over 2.4Ghz wifi, but it can be tricky, and requires perfect visibility between the sites.

900MHz is not legal for use in most of the world. 2 km is doable in 2.4GHz but you want to go with Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. You won't get the bandwidth that you can get WiFi (or similar technologies) but you can get the distance.

We recently did some Ubiquiti 2.4GHz radios for similar distances and the Nanostation Locos weren't quite enough but the RocketDish is pretty amazing. Ubiquiti stuff is all much cheaper than the Phoenix TWE series, but aimed at a totally different market too.

But you need to be very specific about the country in which you are installing this stuff when making plans and parts lists. All radios are governed differently in all countries.