Can't go online, upload... RSLogix 500

Got ya.

Did you try it with the old Ethernet driver? I know RA says that ML1400 and ML1100 supports Ethernet I/P, and that may be the case, however KB BF1900 sort of contradicts that. While the summary is SLC specific, the problem makes mention of ML1100, which then makes me suspicious of the ML1400.

Edit: I believe you when you say you've used the EIP driver, I'm just wondering if there is some undocumented feature that makes the driver iffy with those controllers.

I didn't try the old Ethernet driver.

I've been working on this system since 2011 and never had a problem.

I do remember installing FTVME maybe 4 years back, think it was V9, and it did cause issues on this laptop with RS500, but can't remember all the details. I believe I just uninstalled it and everything else was working fine then.

I plan on getting a new laptop soon, as well as nuking this one, so after this system is ready tomorrow, I should have a good week to start fresh with this one.

Just see how it goes is all.

Thanks for all your comments and help!!!

I'll try the old driver tomorrow and see if that works. It's worth a shot...

I will report back on results.

Thanks again to all!!!

Old Ethernet driver didn't work either. Just didn't want to mess with it anymore.

Got my trusty USB to Serial converter out with extended serial cable, null modem and gender changer. Got done with what I needed to do for now. Still a whole bunch to do tho.

Thanks All!!!

Old Ethernet driver didn't work either. Just didn't want to mess with it anymore.

Got my trusty USB to Serial converter out with extended serial cable, null modem and gender changer. Got done with what I needed to do for now. Still a whole bunch to do tho.

Thanks All!!!

Oh dang. Sometimes you just gotta fold like a lawn chair and go old school. It sure would be nice to get to the bottom of that one.

Oh dang. Sometimes you just gotta fold like a lawn chair and go old school. It sure would be nice to get to the bottom of that one.

I agree, it would be nice to get to the bottom of this. I simply didn't have the time yesterday.

This company makes pelleted plastic compounds. Due to the stay home order in Michigan, they can only run essential product. They have been running their R&D system making some medical stuff.

The system I am working on is setup to make glass filled compounds, and they have to run 6,000 lbs Monday, so they needed it going. It will work fine for that run.

I'll be there Monday, but I can't have the control panels open while an operator is present. Nope, no panel interface connectors on this. I do have a 22MM Eaton RJ45 I could poke in the panel, that should only take a few minutes.

Let me see how things shake out Monday. I'll bring that RJ45 with me and have my handy dandy Greenlee carbide hole saw kit.

During the interim, I have one of the customers W10 laptops I was setting up with other software. I'll install FTVME on that and also have one of those ugly green A-B dongles that are outrageously expensive and put the activation on that.

The stay home order was extended to May 28th, so probably will have some time to mess with this.

So, one thing for future reference, make sure you're using the same subnet mask on all the devices.

If the masks are different, say, one is 255.255.0.0 and the other is 255.255.255.0 , even if both IPs are are the same subnet(fer ex, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y), that driver can get very confused.

Ping will still work, but bidirectional comms get wonky.

Edit: Obv, If you're using routing this is less of an issue.

So, one thing for future reference, make sure you're using the same subnet mask on all the devices.

If the masks are different, say, one is 255.255.0.0 and the other is 255.255.255.0 , even if both IPs are are the same subnet(fer ex, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.1.y), that driver can get very confused.

Ping will still work, but bidirectional comms get wonky.

Edit: Obv, If you're using routing this is less of an issue.

Yes, all the same.
Thanks!!

Did you see KB QA11730?

The error I got with the old driver was this:

Diagnostic Status Failed 0xFFFFFFFE
ID:QA20128 | Access Levels: TechConnect

I'll buzz to my storage unit tomorrow and get some hardware to test with. Basically states to delete driver, then harmony files, then build new driver.

The QA11730 also made a lot of sense.
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Reading more of the KB stuff...
There may have been a procedural error I was unaware of when creating the old Ethernet Devices driver. It stated that all other Rockwell software needed to be shut down before creating the driver.

I had RSLogix500 OPEN when I did that.

Last edited:
There may have been a procedural error I was unaware of when creating the old Ethernet Devices driver. It stated that all other Rockwell software needed to be shut down before creating the driver.

D@MN, rockwell is THAT good!

I don't think that matters. Sounds like CYA on the part of Rockwell. I have created Ethernet Devices drivers and EIP drivers while RSLogix was running without issues. I can see where it might be necessary to close the RSWho applet that is opened from RSLogix when you attempt to go online...maybe Rockwell didn't want to explain all that so they used the catch all phrase to cover that.

I don't think that matters. Sounds like CYA on the part of Rockwell. I have created Ethernet Devices drivers and EIP drivers while RSLogix was running without issues.
Yeah I can confirm that I have also created such while RSLogix was running. Never an issue. In fact I think it is probably a rarity that RSLogix of some form was not running.

Hmmm,

Having issues today. Trying to go online with a pair of SLC551 and ML1400 on the same network.

I get the message: Diagnostic Status Failed: 0x4. See attached pic.

Browsed around the net, did a few things suggested a number of years ago from this forum. No-Go.

Looked up on Rockwell KB. Got answer BF23071 which basically stated to make sure there were no other duplicate IP's on the network. Nope!

Then it suggested to try ping it. Yep, I can ping all 4 devices with success. RSLinx sees everything fine.

I was on this system about a month ago, and all was fine. The only thing that has changed is I installed and activated FTView ME V11 this past Monday.

Now Monday, I tried the transfer utility in FTVME to get the runtime file and that did not work. It came up with a message something like the source was invalid.

I looked all over for an answer, but nothing is working.

This is a W7P 64 laptop.
Linx is V4.11
RS500 is V10
FTVME is V11
Also have various flavors of RS5000/Studio5000.

I also installed all the patches.

Not sure what's up, and was hoping someone may have had to deal with this in the past.

I do have to get this system updated and running tomorrow, and only have 4 hours to do everything.

My backup plan is to use an older laptop I have with RS500 on it, so I shouldn't have a problem completing the tasks for tomorrow.

Thanks!
You should to chose model Micrologix series for the software ''Rslogix 500.''