large dc motors

Where in New Jersey are you? K & J electric serve upstate New York. They have an office in Binghamton. They have furnished AC motors up to 200 HP for a former client of mine. I know they handle DC motors as well, but I don't know how large they go or how much they get into less standard items.

Why ?
Is this for a replacement or a new application ?
if this is for a replacement then it would be more cost effective to have it rebuilt
If this is a new system it will more cost effective to go with an AC system
a good vfd will give you much better performance then any DC system. Wider seed range
lower cost, and no brushes to service.

I instinctly think that copper is more expensive than steel nowadays. So maybe use a 6 to 1 gearbox to convert the 1500 hp @300 rpm into 250 hp @1800 rpm.

Torque (FtLb) = (HP x 5250) / RPM

It would take 6 250HP motors to make the torque of a 1500HP motor, regardless of the gear reduction.

Unless, however, the 1500HP motor was a base speed of 1800, but running at 300RPM, then it's only putting 250HP out...

But I read the OP's spec as a 300RPM base speed.

I instinctly think that copper is more expensive than steel nowadays. So maybe use a 6 to 1 gearbox to convert the 1500 hp @300 rpm into 250 hp @1800 rpm.

Sorry - you can't do that. Gearing will change speed and torque, but hp, like energy, cannot be created or destroyed. The hp at any point in the system will be constant, minus friction losses of course.

Sounds like a drilling motor. However, if Jim is in the industry, seems like this wouldn't be his most convenient source for a supplier... I'm just interested to see what's the application, if it's not a state secret...:) And what kind of motor controller is involved.

One possible source:

https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/PDF/DC_Motor_12_04.pdf

Everything is bigger in Texas...:)

When I first read this thread I thought wow 1500hp is a big motor, then I read the Westinghouse pdf

To meet the needs of a broad range of applications,
our rugged DC motors are available in sizes ranging
from 12-inch to 12-foot armature diameters, with
available power ratings up to approximately 35,000
horsepower

Now thats big... even for Texas, thats big

I had one that we had to take apart to get it downstairs because it was too heavy to carry but it was only a couple hundred at best.

When I first read this thread I thought wow 1500hp is a big motor, then I read the Westinghouse pdf

Now thats big... even for Texas, thats big

I had one that we had to take apart to get it downstairs because it was too heavy to carry but it was only a couple hundred at best.

The biggest DC motor I ever saw in person was a Reversing Mill motor on an aluminum sheet line. The client bought four of these motors..Installed three in real buildings, and left a spare armature strapped down to a rail car, so it could be moved where the problem was, if needed.

Yeah, pretty cool to watch the whole building's lights dim when an ingot hit the main roll stand.