P3-08TAS Output card voltage???

talldude42

I am having with voltage on an issue with the automation direct productivity 3000 p3-08tas output card. The out out is wired to 120v, which is the signal voltage to a solid state delay with 480v on the load side. With the the output off, On 4 of 6 outputs I get 20v on the terminals, and the other 2 I have 58v which is apparently enough to activate the relay. I swapped out the relay and same result. Another thing I can't seem I place is it I remove the the common from the relay, turn off the output I get 120v to the relay.

This is all new equipment, fresh build but I have built 6 units this exact same way and didn't have this issue.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time people.

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/specs/p308tas.pdf
The card has individual commons.

Do you have a model number of the solid state relay you are using?
It sounds like you have some leakage current on the input side of your SSR.
Here is a thread that might help you out. You might have to connect a bleeder resistor.
https://www.ia.omron.com/support/faq/answer/18/faq02155/#:~:text=Reset%20Failure%20due%20to%20Solid%2Dstate%20Relay%20Leakage%20Current%20Even,Relay%20may%20fail%20to%20reset.

Regards,

The relays are either the crydom A4825 or the automation direct equivalent. But the solution you guys gave sounds like is what I need. I will try and post up a pic of the set up with a wire diagram tomorrow.

Ok so I have attached a summed up diagram of the schematic and a couple pictures. The load side is 480v 3-phase and the input side of the relay is 110v. Where would you recommend the resistor go? How do I figure out what size resistor i need? Mostly what I am reading it refers to a capacitor specs.

The compressed folder has the pdf file of the diagram.

KIMG0399.jpg KIMG0400.jpg

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    226.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'd need to know the mA value of your PLC output leakage current, the impedance of the SSR input and the minimum on-state voltage of the SSR input in order to calculate the ideal value of the required bleeder resistor, but in general, for a 120VAC input relay, a 5KΩ resistor is adequate to pull the PLC output's off-state voltage below the minimum threshold and turn the relay off without overloading the PLC output when it is in an on-state.

Since you will be applying 120VAC to the bleeder resistor when the PLC output is on, you'll need to safely dissipate the heat generated by the resistor.

A = V / R, so 120V / 5000Ω = 0.024 A

P = I2R, so W = .024 * .024 * 5000 which is 2.88 Watts

I would use a 5 Watt ceramic resistor to safely dissipate the heat.

Connect the resistor across the input terminals of the SSR, as shown in this diagram:

faq02155_1.gif

The PLC output leakage current is 4mA, the SSR impedance says its current regulated and minimum on state voltage is 90VAC.

For the time being as an emergency fix I connected a coiled relay to the input side of the SSR, using the coil of the relay as a resistor to pull the voltage out. the ohms of the coil on the relay used was 1.7Kohms it work.

What is the formula to find out the ideal bleeder resistor?

Last edited: