Koyo analog program

First, is there a method of displaying a Koyo program directly on this message. I made a bitmap but it was over the 75Kb limit. I was able to make a .fax file but couldn't do anything else with that extension. I would prefer to display it direct so you wouldn't have to have Automation Direct software to view the program. This is why I zipped it up. It would be nice if I could select all the rungs and do a CTRL C and then paste them to a JPEG file. (one rung per .bmp doesn't seem the good way to do it.)

Looking for feed-back on this program. It is an analog program that works but the resolution is not good enough. With a window of 10 micron measurement, there can be no imperfect values after a measurement is taken. This program analog proved to be off by as much as a micron. There is no adjustment of the analog voltage with a Koyo DL240. I don't want to put in any fudge factors in the program to get good values.

It looks like serial data from the electronic micrometer to the Koyo is a pain if it can be done at all. I am going to use a Keyence plc now which serial(RS232)will be used.

You can always print it to a pdf but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of that free program...new laptop and its not installed. My plc programs arent either.

The one problem I could see is the speed of the measurement. A micron is so small that if you are trying to take the measurements during movement the scan time could be an issue.

To make sure the problem is clear let me see if I understand it fully. You are reading a 10 micron range with a 12bit 4-20ma (0-10v)analog input...correct? This should give you 4096 points in your scale.

If it is consistently off say +1 micron or very close then your scaling may need to be offset to adjust the voltage/current range. This is not fudge factors, its applying the actual readings to the actual values.

Last edited:
I don't have time right now to go through your program, but one thing that might be killing your resolution is your scaling... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

P.S. Attached is the program in PDF format so others can help.

Eric has a point - the scaling reduces the accuracy of the incoming signal by a factor of 8 implying that the raw measurement gives on the order of 40 counts per micron. You mention that you may use RS-232 for 'perfect' information but it will still be a number with a certain resolution. Will the RS-232 transmission have a better resolution than the raw data from the analog module?

Thanks all for looking at this!!

Mickey: Thanks for the pdf995 - I remember this now but never had a reason to use it.

Eric: Thanks for making the .pdf - now others can see the program.

Rsdoran: as stated in the header, I used a Automation Direct 13 bit card with -10vdc to +10vdc using 8192 scaled points. This was set up so a perfect part was at 0 volts (mean).
I tried to explain the program at each rung so anyone not used to Koyo could understand what was in my mind at the time.

Thanks again to all!!

Bernie: The Keyence LS-7001 has a digital (in metric) readout on the controller. I am hoping that the rs-232 output will mirror this result. This will be much easier because this all has to end up being sent to a computer for data acquisition.
I don't have much time each day to work on this so the process is a bit slow.
If I can make it work it will be a real application.

Steve I knew the cards were 12bit but forgot about the 13bit unipolar part but the principle is still the same. The window is 10 microns, correct? -5 to +5? with zero being equal to zero volts therfore approximately 2 volts would equal +1 micron and -2v would equal -1micron. In this case for it to be off a whole micron would mean 819.2 points or 2v. The first thing is test the device and verify the voltage points are withing range and offering analog outputs in a millivolt range...consistently.

It may be my scaling is incorrect. I set the high limit to a high limit part and low limit to a low limit part. This gave a result of 5 units per micron.
Is there a way to set the whole analog voltage over the distance of 10 microns? I thought I was doing this. Burnie - you stated 40 counts per micron - this is not the result I was seeing as as seen in rungs 11 to the end.

I found the post from Ron Beaufort "Scaling using y=mx+b - a "no-math" shortcut..." but haven't had the time to get into it yet.

Sometimes I think all you people do is play on this. Don't all of you have to work sometimes?

Rsdoran: as I see it (only using a DMM) all is normal. Not sure how I can test it further. Everything you wrote is correct but I don't see how to read anything finer (millivolt range) other than the values I see now.

The micrometer output is fast but only bounces around by a half micron so the analog output should only be that far off at any one time. That would be fine but the micrometer will show i.e. -2 microns and the analog will show -3 microns.

As bernie pointed out and I have not fully deciphered yet, is you should be able to use 819.2 points per micron with 2.44mv per point. The scaling should offer this range, it should not be limited to 5 or 40 points or you will not have the desired resolution.