Wonderware 10.1 Issue Crashing

thegiantcat

Hello,

I am having an issue with a Wonderware Intouch App, this app will occasionally just crash. There are no relevant logs in SMC, when this happens. If the users try to reopen WindowViewer, it says that the application is already running and cannot open. Normally when I check in Task Manager view.exe is running sometimes. Other times, view.exe is not in task manger (even if I show tasks from all users). I have tried re-copying over the application and loading it through InTouch, I have tried going to old versions of the program, I have tried entirely different projects.

I also tried the following:

Updating video card drivers.
Trying different video card.
Disabling un-used startup programs.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or would be able to lend a hand.

If you need further info let me know.

Welcome to the forum.

What is the operating system and version?
how much ram?
how old is the system?
How old is the hard drive?
Has the dirt been blown out of the pc?
have you reseated the memory and video card?

regards,
james

To answer your questions.

Windows XP x84 (SP3)
8GBs Ram
PC is about 3-4 weeks old.
PC is sealed, there is no dust in it.
Hard drive is a new SSD.
Ram and video card have both been reseated.

My immediate thoughts are going to be running XP on a solid state drive... I don't think it can properly utilize it. Is that the only application you're having issues with on this computer? Finally... Why are you using this setup? Why not A) upgrade to newest rev or B) go to a newer OS and run the program in VM?

Yeah, this is the only Application having an issue on the system. We aren't using a later version of WW as the plant I work at only has purchased up to 10.0 SP2. Since we moved more to WinCC Wonderware is really only still in use for some legacy stuff we have. I haven't tried a VM. Normally VMs are shot down where I work I.T. see's them as a security risk (not even going to get into that). I didn't think about XP not having TRIM, I do have an image of the system, so I will go ahead and try imaging onto an HDD and see if that helps.

I know this is a bit of a necro-post but I ended up solving the issue.

It turns out what was causing it was SPCPro, at one point it was used long ago. There was a Dataset however it was never connecting and thus not being used, after un-installing SPCPro from the WonderWare installation on this PC it hasn't had the issue again since.