ladder logic program

arlo, I've got no idea how old you are or what generation you're in, but my guss is that your somewhat younger than I am, and I'm young! (26 to be exact). The regulars on this forum all have pretty much the same attitude regardless of age, show that you're at least trying and we'll help you more than you can imagine. If you don't belive how much help can be had here just take a look at this thread.

I know you probably won't come back here to see what eveyone has to say, but if you do please remember this. Most of us feed our selves by programming PLC's, since we're all still alive we must be pretty decent at it and we've all gotten a swift kick in the butt more than once.

if it weren,t for my generation ---edited by phil---

i don't get it?

edit
i know, it's cos the teenage ninjas saved the world while we were all sleeping late one sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Mike,

Were you able to download the Elevator.xls file? It was so small that I did not ZIP it. This was done many years ago in an early Excel spreadsheet, and I noticed that some of the formulas did not convert when I downloaded it into the newer version. Bottom line, it no longer works as it once did. Originally, you could select a floor by entering "1" for one of the floor buttons, and the car would move up or down. I no longer have access to the original schematics, so I can't fix it. I bet you could, though.

Best I remember it was an Otis elevator, 1956 version with relay control. We needed to get it working again, because we were having to dress out in rubber Level A Decon suits and climb up 6 stories, and then try to work in 90-degree temperatures. Most could last only about 15 minutes after getting to the top. The local company representative washed his hands, said the last guy who could repair that elevator retired 10 years ago!! Another factor might have been the fact that the building was contaminated with nerve gas! (If you ever flew out of the old Denver airport, you flew right over this building).

All I had available on-site were one-line schematics, and a computer (no PLC). So I made an Elevator Simulator by entering each rung of the schematic as a formula in the Excel spreadsheet, using the AND function for series circuits, and the OR for parallel circuits, and NOT for normally closed contacts. It worked like a charm, and by entering formulas to make my simulator do what the elevator was doing, I was able to isolate the problem. It was some dirty relay contacts that caused the elevator to stop between floors.

I was once at a large construction site, where most of the help were volunteer. I had several young people come up and ask me to teach them to do something. Several even had a whole 15 minutes to learn electricity, bricklaying, and carpentry.

As far as Arlo...I have a few spare minutes, I could write his elevator program while he goes in and does a "LIVE" check on some 13.8 KV fuses for me.

Film at 11:00.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
if he really wanted to learn, he could do the Logixpro simulation exercise of the 4 floor elevator system. of course, he may just be trying for a "passing" grade in class, by letting someone else do the work, while he takes the credit.

danatech :rolleyes:

"let somebody else do the work while he takes the credit?"

better be careful, he may be your boss one day...

Okay, guys,

Because of several private messages, I have gone back to the Elevator program and tried to remember how it worked. I first created it in 1985 in the Lotus 123 spreadsheet program ("Elevator.wks"), before Excel was ever invented. The Lotus 123 version still works correctly, so here it is. I have also did some upgrade work on the Excel converted version ("Elevator-Macro.xls") that I posted earlier. Both of these are ZIPPED into file ElevatorR1.zip, so you will have to Un-zip them first. I now have all the formulas successfully converted on the Excel version, but the Macros that create the car movement are not yet converted. I will work on those as I have time, or maybe some other Excel experts would like to take a shot at converting the macro formulas.

As for the Elevator Simulator, the way you start it is to enter a "1" in one of the 12 pushbutton cells (to simulate pushing a floor button), then press Ctrl r to start the car moving.

Someone mentioned LogixPro. Here is a beginning for Exercise 1, the basic setup for the main program that only gets you ready to write the code.
[ATTACHMENT]C:\My Documents\F&L Things\ProLogix Elevator Ex 1.Jpg[ATTACHMENT]

prologix elevator ex 1.jpg