Which If any roll around Tool box do you use?

YTCET

I am looking for a roll around that we can use in the plant to take "on site " to the machines. I would like it to be large enough for some small parts / small hand tool storage,yet small and light enough to getthrough a crowded plant. it also needs a some what taller top for using as an area to put my laptop while troubleshooting. So my question is has anyone found the "perfect" solution?

Thanks

STANLEY do a couple of good, narrow yet tall roll-along tool boxes. They comprise two or three modules, detachable, with the top box as a carry-about lockable tool box. A laptop can be placed on top with a comfortable working height. Not too expensive.

If there is a Sams Club in your area go see if they have the stainless steel roll around. The bottom cabinet would be idea for that and the whole outfit is only $600. The bottom cabinet will be about 42 inches long by 20 inches deep by 36 inches high.

If going to roll it around and use as a worktable too then I suggest getting a 40 to 42 inch tool cart. If the company is buying it then look in the Grainger book. Also make sure you have good wheels on it.

Yes everything in the plant or rather MOST everything that the mechanics use to roll around the plant floor has 6 in solid casters as the floor is pretty beat up in places. and yes The company is buying.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a Snap-On.

Mine has spring loaded suspension, kinda like coil overs on a pro stock car. Also the tires are great because you can run over small rocks and chips and other **** and the wheels don't just skid.

The lock and roll drawers are the best creation ever. Basically all of the drawers have a lock on them so when you are rolling it around the drawers arent sliding open. It has this neat slide under the lip of all the drawers that you slide with your fingers to unlock it.

Other than that, allot of the mechanics I work with made their own. I will post a picture tommorrow of one of the guys boxes. He is a big roundy round guy.

Roll around

I recently bought a small plastic utility cart ($133) from Office Depot. It's got 3 shelves total and it can be assembled from 24, 34 or 48 inches and has heavy duty casters on it. It also has a UL strip on it.

They make another version that has a lockable cabinet ($200) on the bottom.

They also sell other types. some where made by rubbermaid.

One thing I did to mine was glue and screw all of the legs joints.
I used some new glue called Gorilla Glue, it expands as it dries and makes the connections rock solid after about 3 hours.

Originally posted by YTCET it also needs a some what taller top for using as an area to put my laptop while troubleshooting. [/B]

While I wouldn't roll it around like this, I pull out one of my upper more shallow drawers for this. It works well as I can stand without bending over to work.

FWIW, I have an old Kennedy that I've used for over 22 years and I rough on **** like that.

i bought one of those nice little s/s "room service" carts at a hotel liquidation auction for 30 dollars. nice, ball-bearing casters, and plenty of room on top for my laptop. has a lower shelf for my tool pouch, and a closed cabinet below for the various cables and other stuff, (like printouts and floppies, etc.). i really like it, but it could be a little taller. the price was right, tho'.

danatech

I guess your production floor runs quite well if the mechanics have time for toolcart customization... :D

beerchug

-Eric