Beckhoff

OK, so I have a specialized application(servo motor control via load cell) that Beckhoff has an EtherCAT module for. Called the Ohio office last Friday and left a pretty detailed message and asked for a call back. Waited until Tuesday then called US headquarters and asked who should I talk to. Got bounced twice, with the second person not really sure of who to put me in contact with. She took my name and number. More than 24 hours later, still nothing. Are they happy with their market share and don't want any more business? Any body here have experience with their sales channel? I hear they go direct and not through distributors, so I thought it would be pretty straightforward.

As a fairly new Beckhoff user, I've had a similar experience--support in our region is weak. However, I've had excellent support from the mothership in Minnesota. Calls and emails are always answered promptly by knowledgeable folks. Tomorrow I'll PM you the contact info for my local application engineer.

This is strange: in Illinois we always had great help from local Beckhoff. I know our friends elswhere always get excellent help from Denver field office.

Maybe something with Ohio area is not up to the standards?

My company is in a medium-size city, but we have a Beckhoff support engineer just 15 miles away, who is extremely detailed and responsive. He even goes the extra mile and reviews quotes submitted to the sales engineer to insure everything will work together. We have also had help from the main Minneapolis office. I have met the German designers at 1-day seminars in CA (San Diego, San Jose) enough that I know them by name. I have suggested features we would like (ex. higher speed) and later saw them in new modules, so appears they listen.

You will probably get better support via e-mail. A phone call requires connecting with a person when they aren't busy. Writing it down makes you think things thru and helps shows gaps in your logic. That does require written communication ability, which appears lacking today. We have some young engineers who must frustrate support engineers with their absurd brevity, like "no work, help fix" when I review their e-mails. I see similar in some classic car forums I visit, like asking an engine question but not stating the year, engine, etc. I am regularly faulted for being too verbose in e-mails, so probably only a few detailed people have read this far.

In your specific case, it sounds like you may have 3 separate issues. One is controlling the servomotor, perhaps thru their direct E-bus module. The other is reading a load cell, perhaps thru their strain-bridge module (EL3351 or such). You probably need a PID function in PLC code to close the control loop. I haven't seen a single Beckhoff module which does all this.

This is not about support. This is about sales/customer service. A phone call is still a valid method to contact a company. Two phone calls to two different offices, I should have received a call back. I sent a message this morning to someone high up, and just received an email from my local guy. Sounds like my experience might be the exception.

We are an OEM in central IL and have used/ are using Beckhoff and are very dissapointed with their support. We are going with B&R and get a lot better service and quality.

Beckhoff 🔨

B&R(y)

Baldor Motion in Ft. Smith had 4 or 5 guys that were very good. After ABB bought them, they all disappeared from tech support. They brought in someone new, and after a few years he is doing pretty good. I think they have one other person now. In the meantime, I got to know Baldor UK support guys pretty well. I can't explain the decisions that ABB made with the motion group, since the drives support has always been excellent.

That would be painful. My B&R sales engineer seems to think that everything will continue just as it always has since everybody except the owners are staying and carrying on like always. Time alone will tell, I suppose. Meanwhile we'll keep raving about B&R's great products and support until we see otherwise!

I am a small (one man) operation and I still get great support from Minnesota and I have asked some pretty off the wall questions. The only times that I have had to wait for a response it is when Minnesota needs to get the answer from Germany. Then there can be some issues with translation.

ABB acquired a lot of companies that were competitors or had IP that was preventing them from doing what they were planning to do and they took what they could and then killed or mothballed the acquisition. B&R is a different animal since ABB had no PLC (the AC500 is a joke). B&R is now, as it is, the Machine Automation business unit of ABB. It isn't being integrated or merged or whatever.

It's like if Ford bought AirBus, AirBus wouldn't be getting merged into Ford's aviation division.