Logix Designer support for older version

phuz

I tried opening a file that is in version 20.03, but I have 20.01 installed. It attempted to open Studio5000 and prompted me with a message about Logix Designer support for firmware version 20.03 is not installed and that I should install it.

Is this actually a thing? I thought I had to have an instance of Logix5000 20.03 installed (which I keep in a VM), but if there is a patch enabling me to open it, I'd rather do that!

Yes, it's a thing. RA can't seem to explain it in a concise manner, so I point people to Shawn Tierney's blog post on the topic: What You Should Know Before Upgrading to RSLogix 5000 20.03

In short, RA added a major internal security feature to 20.03 that makes it incompatible with the earlier "minor releases" of Version 20.

The same was done with Studio 5000 version 21. Version 21.03 isn't compatible with Version 21.00.

You basically have to choose a level. If you go to 20.03, everybody working on your machines and all the controller firmware has to use 20.03.

I'm aware of the security issue, but when I said "is it a thing" I meant is there really a way to install support for 20.03 on top of logix designer (like a patch)?

I'm guessing the answer is no.

No, there's no patch that integrates these two incompatible minor revisions.

East is East and West is West.

The error popup wording isn't revision-specific; it's been phrased the same for years.

I can see where the confusion came from.

Thanks for the insight. I've been lucky in that everything I have encountered or installed was 20.01, but today was handed a file in 20.03.