OT: Remote Desktop vs VPN data usage

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,

A little off topic, but I just had a thought and wondered if anyone has any information on the following?

At a certain site we have the option to use remote desktop or a VPN to log in and remotely play with their PLC's and FTView SE system. I'm not worried about the "is RDP or VPN better for my application" part of it here, what I'm curious about is data usage. Sometimes I'm not in my office where I have a nice fast reliable internet connection, sometimes I'm having to tether to my phone or use hotel wifi. When I'm programming the PLC, I use the VPN connection because I figure no need to be streaming a whole windows desktop when I can just stream the PLC information. So I figure that's a more efficient use of my data and therefore (probably) faster as well.

When I'm playing with the scada system, however, there's always an RDP connection involved, as I have to directly control the onsite FTView server. So I can connect using VPN and then remote desktop into the server, OR, I can RDP into the site's RDP gateway server, and then use this to RDP into the scada server "locally". Did I mention I'm doing all this on a VM, so I'm already 3 levels deep into Inception ;)

Can anyone suggest which of these two methods might be a more efficient use of my data connection? I imagine it's probably much the same either way, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows of a significant difference!