Micrologix 1400 major fault because battery dead

unsaint32

At work, Micrologix 1400 had major fault upon resetting after power outage. Here is the info I got from RSLogix500's S2 file.
"micrologix 1400 major error S:6 = 8h,
Major Error Halt S:1/13=1
Fault routine S:29 = 0
Error Description: Internal software error
Battery low S:5/11 = 0"

When I opened and logged on, all program was gone. So, I replaced the battery, downloaded the program and everything back to production.

My question is this... even though it was the battery problem, the status file window showed "battery low S:5/11 = 0"? Shouldn't it have been 1 ?

My question is this... even though it was the battery problem, the status file window showed "battery low S:5/11 = 0"? Shouldn't it have been 1 ?

Yup, unless there is something in your program turning it off.

Unsaint,

The order in which you described the events indicates you didn't go online until after you looked at the Status file. You may have been looking at the status bits from the last time that program was online.

Marc

Unsaint,

The order in which you described the events indicates you didn't go online until after you looked at the Status file. You may have been looking at the status bits from the last time that program was online.

Marc
I was online. I remember seeing the red error indicator in the upper left of the RSLogix 500 while I was reading the info from the S2 file window. I wouldn' be seeing the red if I was offline.

Maybe the battery was good and that was why battery low S:5/11 = 0. But then, what else would explain the program being wiped out at power loss?

Make sure all inductive loads have surge protection.

It also helps to have surge protection on the incoming power source.

Same Problem

I know this is an old forum but if someone out there like me is looking for answers:

I've had this exact problem with a new ML1400 every time the PLC loses it's program totally at random.

I have ML1400's all over the place and this is the only one that does it. Tried new PLC, power filters, surge suppressors, and the problem would still occur sometimes twice a day sometimes once a few months later.

I put the PLC on a UPS backup battery and the problem appears to have gone away.

-Tony

ML1400Fault.JPG