Finding other instances of open rslogix5000 programs open.

K7JLJ

Does anyone know a fast way to find which desktops on the network (by IP) have open copies of a communal program on the same network?

Our issue at work is guys not closing out a program from one or more terminals (~10 on net) so we have a policy of having to check all and close them before making edits so they are not overwritten when closing the other copies.

I wonder if FactoryTalk AssetCentre will allow you to enforce log-off timing. I haven't tried that.

You might hit the Ethernet port's diagnostic page to see which IP addresses have an open Bridge Connection (it will be a Class 3 Pt-Pt connection with a 32000 ms timeout). That won't show you Logix Studio connections specifically but it will show you active connections (even from abandoned RSWho instances, unfortunately).

The best solution is probably going to be discipline, just like if somebody leaves their lock on a machine when they're done with it.

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about rslogix5000..

But otherwise you could run the software centralized on a win server machine. Then you could see who's logged in and if active or not. Also who's running what processes. And remote shutdown applications/log out others (with high enough access).

Last edited:
Not sure about RSL5K, but if more than 1 computer is connected in RSL500 as soon as you verify an online edit and it gets sent to the PLC the other(s) are kicked offline with a warning the processor program has changed. Without messing with the program you could add a line that turns on a new bit - verify that and all others are offline.

If another computer has online edits pending, or completed, then your program won't connect and will prompt to Upload Use File - if this doesn't happen then the program has not been changed.

Not sure about being kicked offline, but certainly other active PCs get a warning that the PLC image has changed with Logix5k.

Edits are obvious in the top LH corner, so should not let you carry out any other edits until the others are complete.

We have the issue here as well ...."oh program x takes too long to open, so we leave it open".

We have discussed Asset Centre, and it is the way to go for us for version control, but need to get the techs some decent PCs first, so that they do not leave 8 sessions of Logix5 and 4 sessions of Logix5k open all the time, so they can diagnose issues quickly...so we are working on a decent VM config and spec for their main PC.

Disclaimer: I don't know jack about rslogix5000..

But otherwise you could run the software centralized on a win server machine. Then you could see who's logged in and if active or not. Also who's running what processes. And remote shutdown applications/log out others (with high enough access).

We do have this but its it's only available to the Corp IT guys not electricians.

Was hoping RSlogixs had something built in. Thanks for the input guys.