FactoryTalk Historian - adding tag to record

Suseh

Hi,

i've finally start to play with Historian and unfortunately stop on the beginning.
I can't add a simply tag from my PLC. I read similar thread but with no main answer at the end...that is a common problem when user solve his problem and didn't share with others.

I will describe in details what is done and configurated to give you a better look for a problem.

I make two virtual systems to test FactoryTalk Historian.
1). PC#1 with Windows Server to keep FT Historian.
I also install on it RSLinxEnterprise
2). PC#2 with Windows 7 to have Studio, RSLinxEnterprise and
SMT (System Management Tools for Historian).

On PC#2 i also have: Studio 5000, RSlinx and Emulate5000 to simulate PLC.

Configuration:
- FactoryTalk Directory setup on PC#1
- RSLinx Enterprise setup on PC#1.
It's wird because when i setup it on PC#2 i not able to access PLC.
Otherwise [when it is on PC#1] FTAC see everything on both PC.
- FTHistorian Service Status is running and setup to "Automatic".
- I can connect to server from PC#2 using FTAC (under "Collective/Servers")
but when i try to connect from PC#1 i can't.
I have installed SMT on both PC.

I try add a historian tag in that way:
Step 1 Open FTAC on PC#2
Step 2 Right click on AreaName and choose "Add individual Historian Points".
Step 3 Browse Tag button and choose tag from PLC. Confirm with
"Add tag(s) to List" , "ok", and "ok".
Step 4 Open SMT/Points/PointBuilder and could'nt find my tag.

when i try to connect from PC#1 i can't.

fix it.
On both PC's user name must be exactly the same. I setup everything
on Administrator account and now i am able to connect to server from PC #1.

The only thing which left is adding historian tag.
Anyone?

Is the PI-SMT applet being able to access the database at all? (verify the System points functionality)
Did you properly configure the PI-SMT PointBuilder Search tool?
Adding the points/tags to the Historian SE database seems to have been successfully performed, however, either the PI-SMT cannot access the PI database or your Point Builder Search is not being properly configured.

dmargineauthank you for answering,

Is the PI-SMT applet being able to access the database at all? (verify the System points functionality)
How could i check this?

Did you properly configure the PI-SMT PointBuilder Search tool?
Not sure.
I only add "FTLD" in "Point source" option and press search.

The other thing is not clear for me. On which PC i should try to add historian tag?
On PC with Historian Server or on the other one (with FTView and other stuff)?

The second question is that i have "FTLD" service active only in PC with Historian Service. I compare settings in "Interface Configuration Utlility" and on the other PC i have information "FTLD service not installer". On PC with Historian Server status is:
Ready/Running/FTLD2 installed.

Let's just leave the FTV out of the picture for right now; the only similarity between FTHSE and FTVSE is the FactoryTalk/SE part of the name; they weren't even developed by the same outfit.
You add Historian Points/Tags using the FTAC on the machine the Historian SE system is installed on.; that's where the database was installed and, hopefully, the PI-SMT utility too.
I usually add the Data Type of the Points/Tags I am looking for when using the PI-SMT/PointBuilder plug-in Search tool; however, if the points were indeed added onto the database, the single(FTLD) filter should suffice.
This is one of the annoyances of the RA branded FTHSE system: an unsuccessful attempt of addition of points/tags to the PI database will not return any warnings/faults as when you'd operate a fully OEM developed product; you won't know about the outcome of the attempt until the PointBuilder Search returns a blank....:D

You add Historian Points/Tags using the FTAC on the machine the Historian SE system is installed on.; that's where the database was installed and, hopefully, the PI-SMT utility too.
PI-SMT i've installed on both PC. According to manual it is not a problem.
I must admit that i try both ways. On machine when Historian is installed and on the others.

This is one of the annoyances of the RA branded FTHSE system: an unsuccessful attempt of addition of points/tags to the PI database will not return any warnings/faults as when you'd operate a fully OEM developed product; you won't know about the outcome of the attempt until the PointBuilder Search returns a blank....

This is not good news for me. I'm stuck.

Hmmm...database...i don't create it manually. How can i check it if it is exist or something?

I usually add the Data Type of the Points/Tags I am looking for when using the PI-SMT/PointBuilder plug-in Search tool; however, if the points were indeed added onto the database, the single(FTLD) filter should suffice.

so my attempt for search is correct and answer is that i don't add my tag to database.

I would leave the second machine out of the picture; in order to use multiple PCs within a Historian SE system you will have to add the machines (Computer Names) and the authorized Domain/Users to both the FactoryTalk Directory Security and the PI-SMT system Security configuration (PI Trusts).
If the Historian SE installed without warnings/faults then the database is probably okay.
Run the FTAC Add Historian Points utility and the PI-SMT on the machine you have installed the Historian.
This is not a straight-up learning curve and the available documentation is sparse, incongruous and, part of it, is available only to RA TechConnect contract owners; you might need to call them after all.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56070/related/1

I would leave the second machine out of the picture; in order to use multiple PCs within a Historian SE system you will have to add the machines (Computer Names) and the authorized Domain/Users to both the FactoryTalk Directory Security and the PI-SMT system Security configuration (PI Trusts).

I think this is not a issue that i use virtual machines.
I had to setup Factory Talk Directory Server from PC with Historian Server (PC#2).
I point at machine (computer name) in (PC#1). The connection is fine. It say's "connected".
The second thing -> i had to mapped Administrator Account on PC#2 with "piAdmin" account. I also see this on my second machine. When i open PI-SMT on the second machine i connect with the server (under "Collectives and Servers") using Administrator account from PC#2. So, to sump up. Both machines are see euch other like separate PC's using computer names.

Run the FTAC Add Historian Points utility and the PI-SMT on the machine you have installed the Historian.

Ok, i focus on machine with historian.

Thank you for bringing article from rockwell kb but unfortunately i don't have account to log in.

..."I think this is not a issue that i use virtual machines."...

This is always an issue, VMing or not...a VM is a PC with User Accounts...Any real or virtual components and their users will need to be given Security credentials on both "ends", FactoryTalk Directory and Historian SE (PI).

dmargineau Historian is really confusing. Definitely, not user-friendly software.
I don't give up but really don't know "where to go" : )

In point builder when i don't change anything. Leave "*" in fields i see
153 tag's. None of them are mine, some default tags.
So the database is fine, i think.

Yes, the database is fine.
The tags you are seeing are the System tags I referred to in my first post; they were created during the installation of the Historian SE Server.
The FTAC Add Historian Points is not functional.
Create a Rockwell user account; it does not cost anything.
Some of the documentation available within the link I have previously posted is available to anyone with a Rockwell Login account; you do not need a TechSupport Contract.
Then there always is the manual:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/hse-in025_-en-e.pdf

I just noticed that when i open "FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer" i can see some logs...
During "adding individual historian points" i receive fault:

The passed value's type did not match the type of the attribute and type coercion failed.compdev

It's strange because i try to add int tag, which change from 0 to 60.

Adding_historian_individual_point_Fault.jpg

I getting further.
The solution for above problem was to switch regional language setting to
"English (UnitedStates)" option.

After that new information appear during adding point showed.
"Failed to creat point on server [-10401] no write
access - secure object (fatal error)

It is connected that i don't have setup mapping in PI-SMT/Secuirty/Mappings&Trusts.
But when i make "mapp" to any FTH group or user i receive error:

RPC innvoke failed [-10401].
No write - secure object.

I found some topic in rockwell kb -> 60585 but i don't have avalibity to open it.
I can read only few words from the beginning.

Last edited:
It's most likely the VM environment; any install hiccup and/or virtual maneuvers such as cloning or copying will duplicate services/servers which need to be unique.
I'd suggest to start over again and this time use only one machine; delete all VM guests and install FTHSE and PI-SMT on a real machine or "fresh" VM; you are trying to learn on the go a pretty "different" application which even the RA TechSupport pros have a hard time handling.
Luckily you don't have to deal with the older revisions; a 2.1-to-3.0-to-3.1 update took an average of 8 (eight!) hours for each of the FTHSE TechSupport team members- they told me that when, I called after eighteen hours of personal struggles, mostly working on the Command Prompt...:D

dmargineau

you are trying to learn on the go a pretty "different" application which even the RA TechSupport pros have a hard time handling.

that's right, but i think this is the correct path to go.
The main problem on this is that the answers for common faults/errors which appears during setup and configuration is on non-free rockwell kb.

I finally configure it and can display historian tag from historian server in my pc node.
The configuration is not in 100% perfect because in setup FactoryTalk Directory Server
on the machine where is Historian Server.

Before i setup DirectoryServer on Node Machine. After i did it i could not to connect Historian Server (Historian Production) from FTAC. Nor from PC/Machine with Historian Server, nor from PC/Machine with other. At this point i did not have action to do. So i delete my machines and get back to previous ones (i have backups). So, the only runnings version is with FT Directory server in FT Historian Server machine.

The main question - if after setup i want to change FactoryTalk Directory Server to
another PC/machine, would i must configure something? I mean beside changing the Directory Server and rebooting PC/Machines?
Do i need to reinstall Historain Server?

Last edited: