Allen Bradley SLC 504 networking

Spoofy_50

I am looking into networking some Allen Bradley SLC 504 processors using DH485 (Blue Hoose)cable. At each end of the connection I will have two personall computers that I want to use to connect to all the PLC's in the chain. I have two AB AIC + units that I want to convert from DH485 to Serial to each computer. Is this possible?? the AIC unit part number is 1761-NET-AIC.

Yes, this is possible. I assume you will be setting up the serial ports on each of the SLC 5/04 processors to DH485, and that you have a NET-AIC for each device on the network.

Allen Bradley Networking

I would actually like to use the three wire port at the top of the processor to dasy chain the blue hose to each processor. At the start and at the end of the chain I would like to use the AIC unit to convert it to serial so I can use two PC's to communicate to all the PLC's in the chain.

That 3-wire port is DH+ and does not require the NET-AIC module.

DH+ is a much better network than DH485 and would be the preferred way to do it, however, you'll need a way to connect your PCs to DH+.

For that you have several choices:
1784-PKTX (PCI card for despktop PC)
1784-PMCK (PMCIA card for laptop PC)
1784-U2DHP (USB adapter to DH+)

These are all quite expensive though.

But there are 3rd party devices that I have no experience with like this one:

http://www.protocolconverter.com/products/DL3500.htm

Paul

Last edited:
Sorry, but no, the AIC is not compatible with DH+. If you have four of them, and the proper DH-485 network cable, plus the four cables you'd need to connect the NET-AIC modules to the SLCs and the PCs, then you could use them.

If you don't already have four of them, though, you are probably better off going with DH+. Perhaps your A/B distributor will give you some credit if you trade them in for a pair of the 1784-U2DHP cables.

Paul

At the end of chain there will be two personal desktop computers. Would you recomend the 1784 U2DHP, or would you use the 1784-PKTX. I know I have had problems with the USB to serial cables before. Drivers not working and other things. What would you recomend??

Well the application will be where the desktop PC's are located in two different offices. The blue hose will start in the first office run through 7 machines looped through the small three prong connector on the 504s. Then it will terminate in the second office at the second desktop PC. It seems I will need a means to go from the blue hose directly into the desktops.

You might, then, be better off using the 1784-PKTX. I have not used the USB cable, but the PKTX cards have always been highly reliable for me.

They have the phoenix plug on the end which can be wired directly to blue hose. Just make sure the PCs you are using have PCI slot available.

Paul