Allen Bradley SLC to Siemens 505 communication

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
One of my sister plants is an all Siemens 505 PLC facility. They need to pass data between the 505's and an AB SLC 5/03, the distance is around 4500 feet.

Any suggestions on what would work best?
I do not have any experience with profibus, but a quick qoogle listed the max distance at 1500 meters, which would work, and SST has a profibus card for the SLC.

Are there any other options?

BTW, we can change the SLC to a /04 or /05 if it would make a difference.

Hello Ken;
An SST Profibus slave module in the A-B rack should do the trick (part no: SST-PFB-SLC-ADP; document link: http://www.woodhead.com/data/current2118/epfbslcadp.pdf ). The 505 profibus can only be master on the bus, so set up the SLC as a slave and generate a exchange table between the PLCs (you will need to integrate the binairy file generated with the network configuration software in the TI505 PLC program).
However, the length of the bus seems borderline; the accompagnying image shows a maximum acceptable bus length of 1000 m., not 1500 m.; so you will need to insert repeaters (1 or more) on your cable line to ensure adquate comms. Profibus specs show that bus speeds decrease with segment length; with one repeater you are assured it will work at 9600 baud. If that is not critical, no problem. If you want a higher speed rate, add more repeater at correct distances on the bus.
Here is a display of bus speeds available on different bus lengths (from Siemens' Profibus Networks pdf): you can calculate the number of repeaters needed to get to an adequate speed target.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

pfb_transm_rates.jpg