Problem with Siemens S-7 315 cpu

Begolfin

We have a sparatic problem with one of our S-7 315 processors. It will go into "Panic mode" all the LED's are flashing and it stops.To get it to restart we have to, recycle power then do a manual warm restart before it will go into run mode. I have saved the diagnostic buffer, and sent it off to Siemens. I have not heard back from them yet. The processor is a 6SE7 315-2AF03-0AB0, Hardware 2, firmware version 1.2.1. The event log shows: Defective: internal sysetem error, No relevence to user (Z1):98c6. Previous operating mode:Run
Requested operating mode:DEFECTIVE. Internal error, Incoming event.
Does anyone have a suggestion?

without looking at the books the first thing i would try is the spare cpu module from stores if you have one

Hello,Begolfin;
I Agree with Kenny, you could have a defective CPU. All LEDs flashing is an ominous sign. I have encountered it in 2 different situations: --defective RAM on the CPU board (must exchange CPU);
-a short on the backplane connectors, where one of the modules' connecting pins was forced into the wrong connector slot; vibration then led to a sporadic short-circuit on the backplane bus.
Just to eliminate the second possibility, remove all I/O modules from the rack, and check each modules' backplane pins; check if any have been bent or misaligned; straighten them if need be. Then reinstall the whole system and do a power on.

Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago. It turned out that the original 10amp siemens power supply that had been fitted to the installation was overloaded and the 24vdc supply was dropping occasionally to 19vdc.

Changed the processor, no help; the problem continues to come in once or twice a day. Power supply reads 24.2vdc but we're monitoring incoming to see if it dips. There's a SOLA and a power conditioner in the line so I don't think it's spiking. A UPS is being ordered.

The help files say that the 'No relevance for user (Z1): 98c6' thing is a code to give the factory so they can tell you what the deal was. Are there any Siemens factory guys running around in here? Tech support wasn't much help but there's got to be someone who knows what that code is.