Numatics Valve Troubleshooting Question

alive15

Good morning,

I have a dispenser that spits out ring gears for a robot to grab. This process has been running as expected for years. Currently, the A.b. compact logix L32E PLC tells a numatics valve to come on which extends a cylinder. The light on the valve does not come on, however, when you manually press the button on the valve, the cylinder moves forward (but no light). This is a brand new valve. The air lines working properly as well.

I will try replacing the valve again, but what are some other variables I should check for?

Thanks!

By "air lines working properly", I'm describing air coming out on the end of the air line for both retract and extend. Bad wording on my part.

The LED indicates power to the coil from the PLC.
The button on the valve is a manual test button. The LED will not light. This is normal.

Indicator light will only come on when the solenoid is energized by the PLC output.

In my experiences with pilot operated valves the light does not come on when you manually use the valves pilot button to switch the spool.

First check if the plc output is ON, if so, check if there's a blown fuse or faulty interface relay, it could also be a faulty solenoid or a loose connection

several things come to mind.

1. is the plc output turned on? not used in multiple places and in one rung the
output is on, and later on, its turned off. the output light will be on and the
output will chatter.
2. the fuse to the output is blown.
3. is the wiring good to the valve.
4. is the coil is bad.
5. if this is a "Numatics" brand valve, check the coil wiring.
ohm out the coils to see what wires goes to what coils. it wouldn't be the
first time I have seen the coil wiring done incorrectly.
the same is true for other valves also.

james

Thank you everyone for your replies. The new valve was definitely bad, we switched it with another one on the same block and the problem stayed with the valve.

These tips posted here will serve as good info for future troubleshooting, so thanks again.