Mitsubishi PLC

elevmike

I have what is yet an unidentified Mitsubishi PLC. The thing is 500 miles away, and all I have is a drawing. I'd like to arrive on the site prepaired to get into this thing but so far I have little info to work with.

This is what little I know...

Make Mitsubishi
Year installed: Early 1992
Inputs: 36 110vac
Outputs: 24 Relay

Expansion:
Inputs: 12 110vac
Outputs: 8 relay (isolated commons)

This controller needs a MINOR change in the program. What I'm trying to do is take a self taught crash course in Mitsubishi. It seems that Mitsubishi sofware can be downloaded free here , but I'm not sure what I need in the way of which software, manuals, cables, comm converter etc.. I need some pointing in the right direction.

Thanks, Mike

the software for download is time limited demos if i remember correctly (it will work for 15 days i think). after that
you might have trouble to make it work for another 15 days
if you need to finish job.
60 I/O in the PLC plus expansion sounds like FX series (FX1N or FX2N
- hope you didn't get the really old F series). The FX1S is not expandable and it has max 30 I/Os so it is not the one.
FX series can be programed with both MEDOC and WinGPP (or GX developer).
I think MEDOC can be downloaded for free but being older DOS based
package and doesn't nececarily support newer PLCs meaning
that you could still work on newer FX if you tell it it's some
old (and smaller) PLC. This will prevent you from using all
memory etc. but it can work. I never used MEDOC so someone else
can help you more.
For most fairly recent PLCs programming cable is SC09 which is
in the order of 150-200 dollars (it has built in converter).
There are cheaper alternatives which so far seam to work with FX
without problem (again, I never tried it myself, see www.mrplc.com
mitsubishi forum and shop section).
WinGPP is older package, it's predecesor of the GX Developer
or GX grew out of WinGPP if you like.
There is version for FX only which is cheaper.
Hope this helps

My recommendation is to CALL and get EXACT model numbers
before you go and at least download applicable CPU and
programming manuals such as:
JY992D88101 - FX Programming Manual II
IB_NA_0800190 - GX Developer v7 programming manual (I use version7)
etc.

You had better pray that it is an FX (FX was the first of the new generation of mitsi PLC's) The FX is the only one of the older (but new generation of PLC's) that had 110V ac inputs.

If its an F1 or F2 then you can no longer get the programming leads (they were a complicated mish mash of protocol converters) They were usually programmed either by a hand held 'squeak box' as I heard them often called or the software MEDOC (a dos based program)

If its an FX, Medoc will program that model, but its not for the faint hearted.
GPPwin will program it GX dev will program it and something called (i think) fxwin. (A cut down version - and cheaper - of gppwin and gxdev)

Try getting the full model number from them and post it here (It will be written on the front) - we can then deal with the reallities :)

New info...

Ok so the guy I'm talking to is a plumber so it's kinda diffucult. I asked him for the model number. He told me it's an F2-20E.. :( I explained that that's the expansion module..and sent him back for a second look.

However I'm now presuming that it's an F2-something, so that should bring something to light... Off to google, I'll check back later.

Thanks. Mike

Ok I found this statement on control.com:

"The SC09 will not work with the F1/F2 range of PLCs. You need an SC03 to work with the F2-20GF1."

I gather the F2-20GF1 is a link adapter. So SC03 must be the cable?? If so any body have a drawing of the cable pinouts?

Thanks again.. Mike

I have an F2 running a dewatering press, I use a Melsec GP-20 programmer to make changes etc. It attaches directly to the front of the plc and has an lcd screen that can be viewed in either ladder or list.
I am usure of where you might get one now.

Daryl

Daryl

Thanks for the info. That gives me something else to look for.

Just to be sure: Is the F2 is eirler then the FX and not at all the same thing???

Mike

I can't answer that for you as the Mitsubishi PLC came as part of a package, we have Modicon 984's running the rest of the plant so if the Mitsubishi ever goes down guess what it will be replaced with.

Daryl

Daryl

How is the I/O placed on your F2?

The reason I'm asking is that the AD Dl06 has the outputs on the top and the inputs on the bottom. Since I have the hardwire drawing, and some "canned" code, this might be a good option if the wires in the panel have a chance at reaching the terminals on the DL-06. In the time I spend researching this I think I could setup a DL06 to replace this F2.

Thanks, Mike

Mike, if you need a F2-20GF1 just ask.
I have one laying around, it has never been used. In the box are also 3 connector-things (don't know for what they are used).

I can send it to you as a Christmas present.
If you feel the need to do something back, you can install an elevator in my home if you make it to Belgium one day :D

PM me if interested

More new info...

EEPROM Cassette F-EEPROM-2

Melsec F2-60

I'm assuming that the EEProm can be writen to via the GP-20 programmer.

Can somebody confirm this?

Thanks Mike.

So I found a manual for the FX2 series and it shows the Inputs on the top and the outputs on the bottom of the PLC. My question is (since I cant find a manual for the F2 series PLCs), is the F2 configured the same way?

Thanks Mike.