Problem with sending via msg user defined tag - rslogix 5000

zitam

Hi,

I created my own tag (6 reals and 2 dints).

I tried to send it via msg to another PLC, and error 16#0013 "configuration data size too short" occurs.

What may cause this error? I tried to change number of elements in msg configuration but it doesn't help.

Matt

I send msg to another PLC, not an email. Error description you gave is for "Email Status Code Descriptions".

I defined simmilar tags in both PLC's, only tag name is different.

Ha my bad, didn't read it very well. Just left my computer searching through the archives while I went for lunch.

Should be in an AB docco though.

The data types must be identical, not just similar. Even if the UDTs have the same number of bytes, they must also have the same elements and (I think) the same datatype name.

If you want to check out the message settings, post the specific details about the UDT and the MSG instruction field settings.

I'm going to make a wild guess here based on something that happened to me Friday; I was experimenting with CIP Generic Message instructions and got one that would consistently give me a "configuration size too short" error. I think that when I changed the MSG type multiple times the control tag got "corrupted" or set in a way that didn't get re-set when I changed message types.

I created a new MESSAGE type tag and reconfigured it, and the message worked perfectly.

....... I think that when I changed the MSG type multiple times the control tag got "corrupted" or set in a way that didn't get re-set when I changed message types.

I created a new MESSAGE type tag and reconfigured it, and the message worked perfectly.

Nice tip Ken, filed for future reference..🍻