Siemens Guru's Help - Profinet

taward31

Hey Chaps,

I am trying to connect an ABB robot controller to a S7-300 Controller via Profinet
Abb have supplied a ''profinet fieldbus adapter''... the option is 840-3.

The option was ordered with the Robot so it all comes installed etc.

So where I am at, I powered up my IRC5 controller and then went to me fieldbus adapter and assigned and I.P and Subnet. easy so far

The controller then asks me to restart which I do.

After start up I connect my ethernet cable to the Profinet fieldbus adapter and try and ping the new I.P setting to no avail.

I have set up other devices on profinet in this project and have always been able to ping them.

Contacted ABB sent the file through and they said all is set-up ok.

Now before I try and setup controller with PLC I would like to know that the I.p is correct so I am not ****ing in the wind so to speak that's why I am keen to ensure the addressing is right through a ping.

My Question is to anybody who is familiar with the profinet comm network,

Do all profinet devices allow a ping after the I.P is assigned or is there times when they will not ping.

Thanks

I quick google search tells me that your ABB IRC5 controller should respond to a ping. Are you connecting directly from your computer to the ABB controller as a test (i.e. without an Ethernet switch/router)? If so, and it is not working, double-check the IP settings on your network adapter on your computer as well.

All ProfiNet devices, if conforming to the ProfiNet spec will implement ping.
Not pinging:
you don't have the same Subnet range on your PC as the pinged device
you have the wrong port config (Half/Full Duplex, 10/100/1000Mbps)
you have the wrong cable

Ping might be blocked by the firewall on your computer.
Does ping respond to other devices ?
When you connect the ethernet cable, does the status LEDs at the the RJ45 port activate ? The meaning of the LEDs may differ, but mostly the green LED indicates "connected", and the amber LED indicates "activity". On some devices green steady means "connected", green flashing means "activity", and amber steady means "100 Mbps".

Apart from that, for Profinet in addition to the IP adress, the IO Device must have a "Device Name". The IO Controller uses the Device Name to connect to the IO Device.

I can ping all other profinet devices via my laptop and cable.

My I.P address & Subnet is 100% set correctly on pc and Fieldbus adapter.

The Ip settings set in the fieldbus adapter shows up in the IRC5 software even after a restart.

But there is a module status LED on the fieldbus adapter and it is flashing twice, in the manual it states that this means IP address has not been set up.

I just wanted to know if there was any way a profinet device would not respond to a ping. First time working with profinet usually used profibus.

IF this was the case I could push on and see if the PLC would still communicate without the ping working.

But from what you guys have said doubt it will communicate with the PLC if it wont ping my laptop.

Anyway I've contacted ABB....See what they have to say on Monday. 📓

Thanks for the input!

It could be that something goes wring with auto-negotiate of MDI/MDIX (crossed or not crossed). You could try to put a switch in the middle.

As fas as I know, Profinet devices must support auto-negotiate, but it is worth checking.

taward31 said:
I just wanted to know if there was any way a profinet device would not respond to a ping.
Some Profinet IO Devices support the assignment of the IP address from the IO Controller. That means that the IO Device does not have an IP if there is no IO Controller.
But I dont think that is the case here. It sounds as if the ABB robot requires that the IP is fixed.

I think the IRC5 has two ethernet ports - one Service and one LAN port. Are you using the right one?

Update,

Got it to work,

Basically had to download the IP settings to the adapter via my Siemens TIA portal software.

None of this was in the adapter manual of course

good start to the week!