End of year backups

longshanks

Happy New Year to all.
Don't forget to do your end-of-year data backups !!
(I just finished mine)
The last time I backed up my desktop systems (2), two days later the Windoze went south. Whoa... Talk about timing.
Mainly now I run a laptop w/Windoze and a desktop w/Linex. The laptop is backed up on a 1GB "stick" and the desktop on a 4GB "stick". Easiest way to do them. Quick too.
Hope everyone had a merry Xmas ....

We have a system

Monday-Thurday are daily backups. 4 tapes
2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Friday are weekly backups. 4 tapes
The first Friday of the month is the monthly backups. 12 tapes.
I take home weekly backups.
My business partner takes home monthly backups.
All my work goes into Perforce ( a version control system ) or in my VPN directory. Both get backuped up according to the schedule above.

Old stuff gets copied to two DVDs and the my business partner both take home a copy. Usually by this time the data is irrelevent but DVDs are cheap.

BTW, if you have your website data on a remote site you should back that up too. Some website hosts will shut down your website and hold your website data hostage. Godaddy does that. It just happened to us.

Nice... let me guess, you had to pay money and then they were happy to turn it back on
That is what their plan is but it isn't ours.
Godaddy wants $75 to restore our site for one day so we can copy the data. This may be the way they really generate money because their monthly rates are actually very cheap. We were able to change the IP address to point to our company copy of the website. We have a new building with high bandwidth so we will try hosting ourselves. We had the website itself back-upped. My FTP site wasn't though. It wasn't official. It is just where I put pdf files that I post links to. I have the sources for that but it will take time to figure out what files need to be there. Our forum lost some posts too but our forum isn't very active which is the way it should be. My attitude towards the forum is that if it is getting used too much then we have done something wrong. Our forum will always be hosted at Delta now since the bandwidth and storage is so low.

Monday-Thurday are daily backups. 4 tapes
2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Friday are weekly backups. 4 tapes
The first Friday of the month is the monthly backups. 12 tapes.
I take home weekly backups.
My business partner takes home monthly backups.
All my work goes into Perforce ( a version control system ) or in my VPN directory. Both get backuped up according to the schedule above.

Old stuff gets copied to two DVDs and the my business partner both take home a copy. Usually by this time the data is irrelevent but DVDs are cheap.

BTW, if you have your website data on a remote site you should back that up too. Some website hosts will shut down your website and hold your website data hostage. Godaddy does that. It just happened to us.

What kind of tapes do you use? I was investigating backup media a couple of weeks ago and it appeared that (for our needs, yours may be different), a USB hard drive would work nicely. You can get them in rugged form factors and decent sizes, like this. Newegg had a 1TB listed, but it is not up at the moment.

Brian