RSLogix Emulate 5 and RSLogix Emulate 500 on Windows 7

Ravioli

Officially Rockwell only supports the following configurations for these Products:
Emulate 5: Windows XP and Older, No support for Windows 7.
Emulate 500: Windows XP, Windows 7 32 bit, NOT 64 bit.

Rockwell indeed spends effort intentionally making it not work on newer platforms. It took me a while to piece together all the steps (with the help of some posts from this site), so I thought I would share.

Emulate 5 (installer version 5.00.08)
Right click installer, run as administrator, continue and finish.
Download RAid37836.zip from Rockwell's Knowledgebase. Answer ID 37836
Replace We532.exe in Program Files / Program Files (x86) with version 5.0.8.6 found in this KB. This will prevent Emulate from crashing when opening project files with long names (Error: RSLogix Emulate 5 has stopped working ).

Right click the shortcut for Emulate 5, and "Run as administrator". Close Emulate 5.
This step was done to allow Emulate to create files and registry entries which will have to have permissions changed.

Modifying Permissions:
Navigate to c:\Windows
Right click WINEMU5.INI and click properties
Security Tab, Edit Permissions
Select Users Group, check "Allow" for "Full Control"
Open Regedit
Right click "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F8E2E542-15F3-11D0-8693-0000C91E42E9}" - Click Permissions
Select Users Group, click "Allow" next to "Full Control"
Repeat adding permissions for "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\We532.Document"

If you do not do this step Emulate will give warnings when started about permissions (Error: Failed to update the system registry. Please check registry security rights or try using REGEDIT. ), and will not save information about projects that are open. You can also just always "Run as administrator", but you will have to do the same with RSLogix or it will have problems going online (Error: Not able to start emulator )

RSLinx
I tested this on RSLinx 3.74
When installed on Windows 7, you will not be able to add the Drivers for the emulator.
Depending on your system's architecture, save the following .reg files and add to your system

Emulate5driver32bit.reg
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Loadable Drivers\EMU5]
"DriverID"=dword:0000000f
"Description"="PLC-5 (DH+) Emulator driver"
"DLL"="ABEMU5.DRV"
"AutoLoad"=dword:00000001
"Flags"=dword:00000002

Emulate5driver64bit.reg
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Loadable Drivers\EMU5]
"DriverID"=dword:0000000f
"Description"="PLC-5 (DH+) Emulator driver"
"DLL"="ABEMU5.DRV"

You should now be able to add the Emulate 5 driver in RSLinx on 64 bit windows.
For 32 bit windows you will have to do the following steps:
Shutdown RSLinx
Right click the shortcut for RsLinx, click Properties, click compatibility tab, check "run this program… XP SP3"
Start RSLinx. You will now be able to add and see the Emulate driver.
Note: Some newer products (Logix 5000 / Studio 5000) might not work right in compatibility mode. You might see unknown devices when browsing in RSWho.

Using Emulate:
In emulate open a .RSP / .RSS file, give it a "Node" ID, and go online to it in RSLogix 5 or RSLogix 500.
You cannot do online edits but you can download to your emulated processor through RSLogix.
If you get the error "Project must be compiled in order to be emulated" you have unaccepted edits (lower case letters) in your project. In RSLogix click the "Verify Project" icon (it looks like a computer with a checkbox) then resave your project.

Emulate 500 Version 6.00 found on the RSLogix 500 V10.00 DVD
-Install normally
-Run once as administrator then close

Change Permissions on:
"C:\Windows\WEMU500.INI"
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1F42BA22-6A1F-11CF-95DA-0000C91E3934}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\We032.Document

RSLinx:
32 Bit Should let you install the driver.

64 bit add the following .reg file:

Emulate500driver64bit.reg
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\Loadable Drivers\EMU500]
"DLL"="ABEMU5.DRV"
"DriverID"=dword:00000013
"Description"="SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver"

Hope this helps someone out there

Some clarification on downloading to the processor, for those not familiar with normal PLC upload download functionality:

When making modifications, usually you only want to add one/two rungs and check the results. Proceed as follows:
In RSLogix:
Click save, click yes to "Upload data table values"
Click REMOTE RUN and "Go Offline"
Make your edits
Click verify (computer with checkbox)
Save
Click Offline and Download
Click Yes to Go Online
Change back to Run mode.

While not the same as doing an online edit, it isn't too painful.

I cant figure out how you were able to get Rslogix Emulate5 to work with Rslinx 3.74??

I have verified this process with every rslinx version from 2.56 all the way to 3.61 (and successfully emulated in factory talk). Problem is, when I get to 3.74, the plc5 emulator driver shows up in the list - all good and dandy, but the driver config will not pop up when I hit the 'Add New..' button. I can hit the button all day long and nothing happens - same thing with my co-worker.

I am using the same driver registry entry (64bit) from earlier rslinx versions I have confirmed that work, which are identical to what you have posted above.

Also, although I dont think this matters, I do not have the reg entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F8E2E542-15F3-11D0-8693-0000C91E42E9} - however it does show up as a string under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\We532.Document\CLSID. Futhermore, when I initially run emulate5 - it has never created any registry entries. I have always had to install them manually.

what cpr/sr version are you running? / linx enerprise? Ftview?

I am pulling my hair out because I don't want to regress in rslinx versions to get this emulator to work. I'm also a little hesitant to move up to sr8 as it caused some major issues last time i installed it.

Nothing in the Rockwell KB about this problem either.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
If you go to Configure drivers, can select the Emulate driver, but clicking add does nothing, RSLinx has to be started in "compatibility mode"
Shutdown RSLinx, right click a shortcut-properties-Compatibility tab
Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"
2rf6m1d.png

Note I've had Logix processors not show up properly when I start in compatibility mode. I tried to install Emulate on a machine with RSLinx Classic Gateway, but remote nodes can't Download to the processors.

The "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" registry entries are more about eliminating annoying "Failed to update the system registry. Please check registry security rights or try using REGEDIT" Error.

Emulate first has to be run as administrator (right click shortcut- run as Administrator) then closed. Then the Registry entries will be created

On 64 bit Windows the keys to change permissions will be:
Emulate 5
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{F8E2E542-15F3-11D0-8693-0000C91E42E9}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\We532.Document

Emulate500
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{1F42BA22-6A1F-11CF-95DA-0000C91E3934}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\We032.Document

As far as versions, I use RSLinx Classic 3.80 (CPR9 SR8). I have even tested it on Windows10 32 bit.

FTView / RSLinx Enterprise shouldn't matter. I install it on machines without those programs.

If there was a takedown notice for this that's unfortunate as information about getting these products going is patchy.