Zebra Ethernet/IP Printer and Studio 5000

Hi all, I just joined because I came across this message about Zebra's Network Connect (Enables industrial protocols). Not all Zebra partners are authorized to sell it, so a lot may not be able to answer questions. You need to order the printers with the Network Connect license installed, otherwise you can order the license from an authorized partner. When you order the license, it'll take a couple weeks to process but you will get a firmware download and license key, you will plug the license key into the firmware downloader and then it will download the special firmware into the printer, enabling the industrial protocols.

Just my two cents. We had an integrator build us a couple of assembly cells. The corporate decision was to put two new Zebra ZT230's in the cell with it, because they had Ethernet capability. This would end up being a nearly year long headache for me. Even after the Ethernet was configured, and the CompactLogix was sending it the proper ASCII/ZPL code, the printer would decide to lock itself up at random times with a blinking data light. Zebra tech support was no help to us for any of this.

I finally made the decision to go a different route, one that we have used for DataMax printers. We bought a module made by RTA Automation that converted from Ethernet to USB; the 435USB. What used to be 20 rungs of programming has been converted to 3. We now use a few CONCATenate commands to populate a custom length string (350 characters). When the 435USB detects data in the tag, it pulls the ASCII ZPL code and pushes it into the printer. The only downside I have discovered using this method is that we are no longer able to get a status back from the printer. The operators now have to pay a little more attention to the label stock than they did before, but printing is much more reliable.

The ZPL code is kind of a hassle to learn at first, but after a couple of hours of working with it, it isn't too bad. We print a label that includes part numbers, operator codes, time and date built, and a DataMatrix barcode.

My experience after this job, and many others like it prove to me that when I die and go to the burning underneath, my punishment will be an endless string of intermittent problems.

I never dealt with ZPL, I have no idea of ZPL by the way.
I designed my label then copied to my printer´s memory, and after that all I had to do was to write data into my plc parser and that was all.
My printer is part of my EIP tree.

RTA - Robust and Determiniistic

Just my two cents. We had an integrator build us a couple of assembly cells. The corporate decision was to put two new Zebra ZT230's in the cell with it, because they had Ethernet capability. This would end up being a nearly year long headache for me. Even after the Ethernet was configured, and the CompactLogix was sending it the proper ASCII/ZPL code, the printer would decide to lock itself up at random times with a blinking data light. Zebra tech support was no help to us for any of this.

I finally made the decision to go a different route, one that we have used for DataMax printers. We bought a module made by RTA Automation that converted from Ethernet to USB; the 435USB. What used to be 20 rungs of programming has been converted to 3. We now use a few CONCATenate commands to populate a custom length string (350 characters). When the 435USB detects data in the tag, it pulls the ASCII ZPL code and pushes it into the printer. The only downside I have discovered using this method is that we are no longer able to get a status back from the printer. The operators now have to pay a little more attention to the label stock than they did before, but printing is much more reliable.

The ZPL code is kind of a hassle to learn at first, but after a couple of hours of working with it, it isn't too bad. We print a label that includes part numbers, operator codes, time and date built, and a DataMatrix barcode.

My experience after this job, and many others like it prove to me that when I die and go to the burning underneath, my punishment will be an endless string of intermittent problems.

Mike,
I couldn't agree more. RTA is the way to go.

I see so many people see two Ethernet ports, and figure "I can program my plc to do socket based explicit messaging, and save a few hundred dollars".
Although they can produce a few labels, there is always a hang-up. You experienced that first hand.

We do a lot more incoming data that outgoing in our plants, but the RTA Ethernet USB is bullet-proof. We have incoming ASCII from USB fixed Data-Matrix Scanners, Hand-Held Scanners, RFID Badge readers, etc.

The RTA modules read in the ASCII, and dump direct into PLC tag. NO EXPLICIT messaging, timing, formatting, magic reset buttons.

Regards

This thread has been helpful so far. My customer is installing 4 ZT-410 printers and we are trying to integrate these with the special firmware. I have downloaded Zebra Designer but I am not able to download the sample label template from their cloud service. Has anyone downloaded this before? It is referenced in the Network Connect for Automation Developer Guide page 26.

i have the same problem

I have tried to buy a Special Firmware SP004629A in order to convert TCP/IP to EIP, but this firmware just be sell in the USA and I am in south america. I have already requested for our branch in the USA to buy this firmware, we purchased 2 licenses, but Zebra isn't wan't help and send the link to download, so we probably will need to request for the zebra partner refund, so I'm finding a box converter, do you know any converter?
Could you send me by email the Special Firmware SP004629A for me try the functionally?

AOP I have already installed and added a network in my plc program. My only problem is RSlinx can't identify Zebra printer because lack os Special Firmware SP004629A.

Thanks

i have the same problem can you help me plis !!

Issues printing from Compactlogix to ZT410

I have everything in place it seems. label format was made and sent to printer. I have verified its on the printer flash memory by checking the server. I have copied the name of the file on the internal memory to the array in my plc program. But when i increment the sequence number i get nothing. No printed label?? what am i missing?

Zebra tells me to call rockwell, but i know its not a rockwell issue and the person on the other end of the zebra tech support just doesnt know what to look for.

Any help?

I have everything in place it seems. label format was made and sent to printer. I have verified its on the printer flash memory by checking the server. I have copied the name of the file on the internal memory to the array in my plc program. But when i increment the sequence number i get nothing. No printed label?? what am i missing?

Zebra tells me to call rockwell, but i know its not a rockwell issue and the person on the other end of the zebra tech support just doesnt know what to look for.

Any help?

I was just able to get mine working. Do you have your format number set to 1?

I am new to the PLC world. My first job after school and first project with ZT230 printer. Forgive if my questions are dumb!
I am integrating the printer to Compactlogix V30.11 and will be using a Zebra designer to design my label and saving it to printer flash memory as specified in the Developer Guide. My questions;
When writing to the label through the Raw Parser data, must we start from Field number 11?
I will be printing the date, time and part count on the label barcode. Can someone give me hint on how to populate these to my printer through the raw parse data. Am I going to concatenate? Link to sample PLC code with be appreciated.
Thanks

Do someone know how to crack ZDownloader to get Zpoints or how to buy these ponits? I'm almost finish with my application ad i don't have those points... Please help me!!