Wonderware Archestra 10: No Control Of SmartSymbol

Colt Hero

I drag and drop them (valves, pumps, etc.) onto the displays, enter the object name, and they update fine at runtime (turning green, etc.), but when you click on them (at runtime) it's like they're just flat graphics. There's no indication that Wonderware sees them as SmartSymbols that should display a pop-up window for control when clicked. I put down these SmartSymbols in InTouch by going to the SPECIAL menu, then choosing "Start SmartSymbol Edit" ... because that's the only way I can see to get to the "toolbox" of *custom* SmartSymbols that all these displays use. If I click on the Wizard hat instead, it brings up the standard Wonderware objects - and this list does not include the *custom* ones. I know "Start SmartSymbol Edit" is *really* for EDITING SmartSymbols, but I'm not editing them ... I'm just trying to drop them down and run. Is there a different way I should be dropping these things down?

But I can *copy* a similar object from an existing display and THAT works, so it's either the *way* I'm dropping these objects down, or maybe this is a security issue where my login is not allowing me to put down objects with associated control? I'm *supposed* to have Admin privileges...

And the kicker is ... in some cases, I cannot find the *exact* object I need (with the proper orientation) elsewhere on the other/existing displays ... so I've had to drop down (for example) a pump pointing in the wrong direction, which is irritating. Is there any way to search InTouch displays globally for a particular object?

Last edited:
Once again ... call off the Cavalry.

In the SmartSymbol properties window some "junk" characters had someone gotten pre-pended to one of the child object strings. It was "?m" (on the front of a global variable for the device). I had seen that there, but thought it was some kind of generic system placeholder. When I clicked on the ellipse button to the right it brought up the large window with all the global system variables. I re-selected the same name, the garbage characters disappeared, and the objects started working.

So it was THAT simple ...