Yet Another CCW Issue.

Sorry, that screen shot didnt work either.

I don't know why. New laptop just trying to figure that out. It opens fine until I upload it to the forum. I was simply trying to illustrate that I have updates

KB4480116 (cant uninstall)
KB4481031 (can uninstall)
Security update for Adobe, no KB number (cant uninstall)
KB4470502 (cant uninstall)
KB4470788(cant uninstall)

This is why VM's are so helpful. The way they release the software these days with fly by night testing it's nothing to have it hose your entire windows install which is why I put almost everything in a VM.

I think the only application/program running on my host is VMware workstation and everything else is in a VM.

CCW is a heartless girl. I hope you get it resolved soon.

I did indeed get it going. This was last weekend. After posting my last. Another reboot allowed me to uninstall the updates.
One by one I uninstalled and kept note which ones they were. It is a new computer so there were only 5 or so there. The final one, (not written in front of me now) allowed my software to work.
I then used the update blocker software on my computer to hide the updates. All of them. I spent all morning on on this.
Then I went about my day thinking I had it working and bad updates blocked and indeed I did. However,,, the next morning I find two updates on my computer not in my hide list and my software will not run.
I haven't looked at it since. Luckily so far no need to.(for another week or two)

My work computer is in the same boat but IT is fighting that battle and loosing I might add.

I do need a solution for next week though, I'm installing a case sealer I built with an 850 and I expect to need a tweak or two with interlocks and speeds. I couldn't do it a couple weeks ago as scheduled because of this but the day is soon here!

Microsoft says "early" Feb. In my book that is from the 1st - 10th and that is being gracious.

I do have a VM on the server, perhaps I could install CCW on it. I wouldn't have an activation for the developer edition but it should get me by.

This was a big struggle with Rockwell software for me a couple of months ago. We even went so far as to buy a used Windows 7 desktop so that we wouldn't run into any of these incompatibility issues with the Microsoft updates. Now it's just FT Activation Manager woes.

I am going to sound like a broken record here but run this stuff in a VM and not on your host.

Also, don't allow windows updates in a non controlled manner. In IT no machines get a windows update directly from the internet, They only get them from an internal WSUS server which is easy to set up and then windows updates are tested in a test environment (Multiple VM's) before they are put on the WSUS server for machines to download on a schedule.

These methods reduce many, many headaches and eliminate a lot of lost time.

I know everyone can't run a WSUS server but run your apps in a VM and make a copy. Disable windows updates in your VM at least until you can test them on a copy during a time when things are not busy and make sure they work with no issues and keep a few copies of your VM with notes of what updates were installed so you can go back to another VM easily or another snapshot.

installing this poorly written software directly on your host and getting windows updates as they come you may as well be putting a knife to your own throat.

If VMware is not in your budget use one of the free alternatives like Virtual Box and if IT is giving you a hard time about using VM's then take the laptop back to them every time it crashes and let the lost work time/project time be charged to them and I promise attitudes will change quickly.

If you must run it on your host then get a free imaging program and make an image before you make changes so you can go back easily and turn off automatic updates.

Last edited: