Rs Logix 5000 training

I would like to learn Rs Logix 5000 but do not want to waste alot of money, maybe a few hundred dollars or so. I looked on the internet and have found a couple of places that will send a simulated training disk to learn how to program for around $199.00. and found one for around $75.00. The company I work for has 2 differant plants hooked to a distrabution center. The one I work in uses Rs logix 500 and the new plant uses 5000. We also have 2 more plants in town that use both 500 and 5000. In the future, I would like to help trouble shoot PLCs in all plants. I have a great desire to learn and like working with PLCs in which I have wrote programs for a plant of ours out of state while I was working ther and have change programs to improve production and safety using Rslogix 500. Any help in finding a good simulator training disk or good training for RsLogix 5000 would be greatly appreciated. I am a hands on kind of person who learns best when actualy doing a program I can see work in the real world or on a simulator. I realy enjoy programing on the job and in spare time at home. I find it relaxing and a fun challange. It is a hoby of mine also. Thank you all in advance for your help.

I have to say that there is no replacement for factory training. The AB training instructors do a great job getting you involved hands-on with the training PLCs they bring with them.

If there are other people in your plant that need training, maybe your company would pay to bring in a trainer.

If this isn't an option, then your best bet is to get a spare PLC, set it up with some switches and lights and start experimenting.

Just set a goal and try to create a program to do it. Like program a set of lights to do the "Knight Rider" thing. Then use a button to change the timing, just dumb stuff like this will teach you tons.

You can upload programs from machines in your plant and download them into your spare PLC, then change them and see what happens.

I also am a hands-on learner and I think I have learned the most from just seeing what happens when I change things in existing programs using a spare PLC.

For RSLogix5000 you need to be very comfortable creating and modifying tags. Search the web, there are tons of tutorials.