How to choose ratings and add components

bdauliya

Supporting Member
Good Morning all,

I am a beginner level PLC guy, I am planning to setup a lab using Allenbradly Compactlogix 5380 controller. I have selected the Ethernet I/O's and I/O Module. However, I am in lack of knowledge about other components which are to be connected to complete the complete setup. I also don't have knowledge on ratings to be used for components such as MCB, OLR etc.

I will really appreciate if anybody can help me on this. Thanks.

Good Morning all,

I am a beginner level PLC guy, I am planning to setup a lab using Allenbradly Compactlogix 5380 controller. I have selected the Ethernet I/O's and I/O Module. However, I am in lack of knowledge about other components which are to be connected to complete the complete setup. I also don't have knowledge on ratings to be used for components such as MCB, OLR etc.

I will really appreciate if anybody can help me on this. Thanks.

This is a loaded question. The MCB, wiring and such will typically be dictated by the NEC (in the US); you can get a general idea by searching on Google. When it comes to "other" modules such as VFDs, the specs will be dictated by your system and motor. I prefer the 110VAC drives for practice as you can run them from a regular outlet. When it comes to "small" components such as sensors, relays, etc, you should consult their manuals. Basically, you should be concerned with the voltage.

I believe that you should do some research on your own and if it isn't clear, post the specific system and items you're looking to buy. People would gladly help you out.

I also wrote a brief post on this... I may add more components later: PLC Trainer

Good luck,
Vlad