Motor Condition Monitoring

Have had a couple of requests from customers for condition monitoring systems. They usually drop the idea when they hear the price :)

Instead of a permanently installed monitoring system, which will be very expensive for the sensors, the cabling and the monitoring hardware, as a cheaper alternative have a set of vibration sensor + monitor that can be installed on a for the purpose prepared measuring point (i.e. a predrilled and threaded hole in the part that has to be monitored). Then have a guy go around monthly and take manual readings.
Combine with thermographic images and you have a reasonably good preventive maintenance regime.

Our motor failures are few and far between but every time we do have a failure, it turns into this big "How can we prevent anything like this form ever happening again!!!?" situation and the then monitoring is the new panic, till the next panic comes along.. We seem to do this with many different downtime events.

Ahhh, the good old engineering/management disconnect... "what can we do to avoid this happen that doesn't involve any investment whatsoever?"