Hardware for Remote Access

We have had multiple VPN connections to a Stridelinx simultaneously. You cannot have the same user enable two different VPN connections using two different remote access devices. You cannot have a VPN connection from one device to multiple different Stridelinx routers.

Using the HTTP service for HMI access, I am pretty sure we have had 4 people access a single HMI at the same time (without the VPN enabled).

The Tosibox is cool too. I think there are various models of Tosibox that support a varying number of remote connections. It is also easy to set up, but not quite as easy as the Stridelinx. I had a distributor get us one to try out, but then he didn't move enough of them to keep his distributorship, so it sits on my shelf unused. I am not sure if we were ever billed for it...
:whistle:

We use Secomea devices. They have Lan, WiFi, and Cellular models. The remote user needs a security certificate, issued by you, and a password to access. Also, you can use an input on the device to turn off remote access so you know when someone is logged in.

You can have multiple users access the same remote network via one E W O N at the same time.
We do that frequently.
The model I used in the past is the Cosy 131 and the free service. I was not able to connect to more than one e W o n in the same account at the same time.
Please see attachment.

StridelinxVSeWon.JPG

I dont think the limitation is with the E W O N Cosy, but if the VPN portal is with the Talk 2M/ecatcher paid or free versions.
We use the paid Talk 2M/ecatcher package.

Last edited:
I dont think the limitation is with the E W O N Cosy, but if the VPN portal is with the Talk 2M/ecatcher paid or free versions.
We use the paid Talk 2M/ecatcher package.
Oh, OK. That makes sense.
However, you get the simultaneous connections with the Stridelinx for free.

E.W.O.N (and others) also have versions that do exactly that.

edit: browse down to the bottom of this page: https://****.biz/products/cosy
There you can find the part no for a router that supports 3G or 4G.

edit: You have go to replace the "****" with "e w o n" (without the spaces) in the above link. PLCTALK has an issue with E.W.O.N. Dont know why.

i think there was a link with a male enhancement product years ago that banned E1 being displayed.

we use E1 on all our remote supports, with ****** cloud service. Works great

edit:

hah even "talk to M" is banned

Hello again, everyone and thanks for all the suggestions. I went with the Stridelinx 4G modem, and bench tested it to a Trio motion controller. A little laggy (expected) but worked a treat.

Now we are trying it on our first actual remote-in job, and interestingly, the Stridelinx is working okay (online and connected at the web page, can ping the PLC from my laptop).

Where I am hitting trouble is RSlinx. The ethernet/IP driver sees the local IP assigned to the TAP ethernet driver and latches onto that. There does not appear to be any passthrough. I tried configuring it to browse a remote network, but it doesn't see anything.

Any Stridelix fans used these with ControlLogix that can offer some pointers?

Thanks,

TM

Phoenix Contact - mGuard.
Has the ability to be used both with wire and cellular data (by a SIM Card) ~.

We use them as a standard in our machinery (OEM) and have been using them for the past 6 years. I'm happy with them, it does the job.

//V

There are many VPN providers that are tailored to industrial applications.

We use E.W.O.N. This is a router which sits between the machine network (LAN side) and the customers network (WAN side). The customers network must provide an internet connection to the router. They get access to setup the router any way they want on the WAN side.
This is super easy for the customer, but they have to trust that the LAN/WAN VPN connection is safe.
Another similar vendor is MB.net.

Another solution is that the customersIT department setup a VPN connection (or several VPN connections) for outside subsuppliers to get access to the machines they have delivered.
IT department may like that better because they can then keep full control. On the other hand, the machine suppliers then have the problem of having to juggle many different VPN connections, so they dont like that so much. An advantage for the machine supplier is that the costs are usually on the customer.
As an OEM I hate when a customer requires me to use their VPN solution. I have dozens of machine all across the country, and it is increasing by at least a dozen a year. Having to keep track of VPN credentials and addresses and keeping half a dozen different VPN clients on my computer is a nightmare. Thankfully I would say only about a 3rd require us to use their VPN.

Don't get me started on the ones that require we use Jump Boxes ;)

We Currently use E.W.O.N Cosy 131 but I have been having issues with them dropping offline and needing to me power cycled at to different recent installs. So I am currently at TosiBox.