HMI Security Groups

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if there are any recommendations on user groups for Panel View Plus / ME Studio.

This could apply to any HMI.

Currently I have...

Default (view Only)
Operator (day to day functions)
Supervisor (Operator + change schedule, time ad date etc)
Maint (Supervisor + manual control of devices)
Admin (Supervisor + passwords)
Engineering (everything)

Is there a standard that anyone is aware of?

The reason I am asking, is because everyone I work with has a different opinion on how security should be dealt with.

Thanks for reading,

Paul

Ask whoever you're designing the panel for. Some customers care and give you a massive list, most don't, so they just get the default engineer password.

If it's in house, lock the operator out of anything that is going to fk things up!

We go through this battle all the time.

So and so wants something password protected, I do it.

At 3AM somebody else needs the password, they get it, pass it on, whole plant knows the password, so I change and we repeat.

So and so #2 wants no passwords, I do it. Then somebody does something they shouldn't, Costs money!!!

So now they want a password! It never ends and will change with every plant manager, maintenance manager and anybody else who thinks a password needs to be added or removed.

Then you get machines from 15 different manufactures who all had their own password scheme when they built the machines.

Its hard on the head really!

I'm not sure if the AB HMIs offer this feature, but I've seen some systems that link the HMI permissions to groups, and then allow you to link the groups to users in Active Directory. That way the facility can manage everyone's login info themselves (same as computer login, if the operator has one), or integrate smart card readers or something else. The HMI doesn't care how many users the server has, you only configure the groups.

I just got done standardizing our whole plant to have the same password system. Did everything in the PLC instead of through the HMIs.

Ask whoever you're designing the panel for. Some customers care and give you a massive list, most don't, so they just get the default engineer password.

If it's in house, lock the operator out of anything that is going to fk things up!

Thanks for your reply, this is for standard product (OEM).

I have been look at the PlantPAx security as a baseline, and maybe the go to.

fpnRHPF

We go through this battle all the time.

So and so wants something password protected, I do it.

At 3AM somebody else needs the password, they get it, pass it on, whole plant knows the password, so I change and we repeat.

So and so #2 wants no passwords, I do it. Then somebody does something they shouldn't, Costs money!!!

So now they want a password! It never ends and will change with every plant manager, maintenance manager and anybody else who thinks a password needs to be added or removed.

Then you get machines from 15 different manufactures who all had their own password scheme when they built the machines.

Its hard on the head really!

Exactly, 30 people, 30 opinions, which is why I want all the engineers to standardize on security for std product (OEM).

If it is a standard, and written down, more difficult to complain.

I'm not sure if the AB HMIs offer this feature, but I've seen some systems that link the HMI permissions to groups, and then allow you to link the groups to users in Active Directory. That way the facility can manage everyone's login info themselves (same as computer login, if the operator has one), or integrate smart card readers or something else. The HMI doesn't care how many users the server has, you only configure the groups.

Yes, they do, and can be tied into AD. My preference, but not all customers have infrastructure

I currently use groups.