Parsing out a tag name in RSLogix 5000

blueagate

Hello

My question is:

Is there any instruction in RSLogix 5K that can allow us to examine a tag name so that the results can be used to form a set of conditions to activate an output?

In fact, I need to write a program code for the following:

-Fetch tag name (eg: M03XV003) corresponding to the generic name (GFEED).
-Parse out the left-most character of the tag name.
-Test to see whether left-most character is an 'M'.
-If character is 'M'.......
and so on.

My problem is that I do not know whether it's possible to write these above instructions in RSLogix5K.....have you any idea on how this can be achieved?

Thanks

Are you looking to interrogate an Alias definition ?

I'm trying to figure out how you could address such an instruction; to get the Name of a tag, you'd need to address its internal identifier, or address the Base Tag and inquire about the names of Alias Tags.

Thank you for the reply.

I apologise if I show lack of understanding. The thing is that I have just started learning RSLogix programming.

Yes I think that it has to deal with interrogating an Alias definition as we are not aiming at storing a value(s) for use by logic within the project.

Good day everyone can anyone give me adviced what cable I need to use to upload my Panel View 550 program to my laptop, I want to modify the my present project.

Thanks
Edwin Mandayao

Good day everyone can anyone give me adviced what cable I need to use to upload my Panel View 550 program to my laptop, I want to modify the my present project.

Thanks
Edwin Mandayao

edwin.mandayao,
You need to start your own thread on this subject. Those that can help will not see
this on someone else's thread.
When you do, post the complete catalog number of your Panelview.

start.jpg

L5K doesn't store anything in an index, tagwise... you could do a couple of things:

One, specify the exact tags you want, and program accordingly, or

Two, use an HMI like Wonderware to send a bit BACK to the PLC, by using scripts or alarm grouping. I hate this option, because it takes away from true PLC control, but it does work. I've had to use it when my PLC msgs have been used up (SLC/PLC5).

Usually we program with the PLC, and everything else follows suit. I know that doesn't always happen. :p

we are not aiming at storing a value(s) for use by logic within the project.
Yet somehow you wish to have information stored in the project (you are choosing the name for a storage location). If the meanings will be constant then you should store that constant. If the action will be variable then what is the source of that variability? This information is to be stored in a value somewhere.

I believe that your acknowledged lack of familiarity with the RSLogix 5K system has led you astray. A more in depth explanation of your system and what you are trying to do may lead to methods which can actually be implemented.