I have retired!

@PLCNovice61, not Tasmania. The flights are too long. Also, it is not as easy to just move to AU or NZ when you are old and not working. You have a point system.
The US should get smart and have the same.

@dmroder, not commiefornia. Those that can are leaving.
I can't just leave completely yet. The biggest problem is passing on knowledge to those that are comfortable with Laplace transforms, state space and differential equations.
Last summer my IT guys and I got jupyterhub setup.
I need to convert a lot of my Mathcad files to python/notebooks.
I will also stay in touch using Microsoft Teams.

I haven't sold my share of the business, yet. That will be a problem. It would be best to sell to the employees. A big company would ruin the company.
We have had plenty of offers in the past.
I can still write magazine articles or program wherever I am.
I still will go to work from time to time to play table tennis and pick up mail. We have a nice setup at work and the table tennis clubs are closed.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/TableTennis/playing c-pen.mp4
The net to the right keeps the balls from going into the hydraulic equipment. Many of you have been there.

@504bloke, a ram 3500 is what is called a 1 ton pickup. The engine is a gas 6.4L V8. There are 4 wheels on the back axle or two wheels on each side to handle the load.
The camper sits in the bed. All together my camper and truck weigh about 13000 lb.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=56773&stc=1&d=1609601153
I had to use the four wheel drive to get up there. There are plenty of logging roads. The problem is that you need to find federal or state land.

The gross vehicle weight rating is 14000 lb. The Arctic Fox 990 is almost like the tardis. It seems bigger in the inside. The right side slides out.
If I lived in the UK I would try a narrow boat. Wherever I go, I am home.

I bought a small and low power keyboard for the camper. A Yamaha PSS-A50, $100. That and the computer should keep me occupied.
The employees bought me a small Orange Amp for my guitar which I haven't played in 40+ years.
My fingers hurt because I don't have callouses. I have a cherry red 1966 Gibson ES 330 TDC.
I don't have room in the camper for the guitar and amp. Also, the temperature and humidity changes would hurt the guitar.
I bought it with money I made mowing lawns when I was 13 years old. I actually had about 6 or 7 customers.
Now kids can't do that because of regulations.

My biggest concern is having the discipline to keep exercising. Use it or lose it.

IMG_20200807_105638193_HDR.jpg

Lovely size camper, much easier to get to remote places than the huge 32ft behemoth that we drove through Canada. Then again that was a great experience for us and we were a family of four.

My biggest concern is having the discipline to keep exercising. Use it or lose it.

Very good indeed, keep using it. If age starts to rule out one form of exercise, don't sit back but find another one right away. For me the key is to find something that I enjoy so much that I keep doing it for the sheer enjoyment, rather than it being a kind of obligation.

It might not fit in the RV, but when the body starts giving out a rowing machine is excellent: a sitting exercise that is much easier on the legs while still using them; you control the pace if aerobic capacity is limited; my dad rowed a scull on a local lake until his mid-80s, and he had COPD. There should be one in every retirement community. Of course it's boring h-e-double-hockey-sticks, but what exercise isn't? At least you can listen to the radio or whatever streaming from your phone to your bluetooth hearing aids.

@the_msp: 10k posts => :ROFLMAO:

It might not fit in the RV, but when the body starts giving out a rowing machine is excellent:
I have a water rower.
https://www.waterrower.com/
I think I have the model called the natural. I bought mine long ago but some of the parts like the plastic rails the seat rolls on are starting to crack. I need spare parts.

I have it in front of my TV.

Mr. Peter Nachtwey,

You have influenced countless professional engineers to apply your empirical strategies to solve our induvial unique closed loop applications.

We are encouraged that you have trained and educated so many Hydraulics/Controls engineers that your legacy will continue for years and years.

Although we will miss your daily input… we will carry on your march for excellence.

And we all wish you the best wishes for you to have fun and relax with your new chapter in life.

Plastic

Thanks, I won't be gone.....

Great news - like so many others your knowledge and science goes way above mine, but it's always good to hear your thoughts.

Wherever you travel to, or end up, if that's your aim, please find a way to get internet.

Back in the 70's my college "computing" was done on a machine that punched cards, which we took to the desk. They ran the program overnight, and we could collect the results the next day, spewed out from an 80-character sprocket fed printer. "Syntax Error" was the most common result.....

It was sort of like this forum, having to wait for results, but you took the time to explain the "syntax errors". You took the time to explain the why's and why not's. You took the time and effort to be who you are, and I will not be alone in thanking you for your efforts, your wisdom, and often, your patience.

We all wish you well in your retirement, but

2021-01-02_235051.jpg

Congratulations, Peter!
Enjoy retirement.
Your knowledge has always been appreciated and will certainly be missed.
Keep us posted on all your new adventures.

I will travel around looking for a good place to retire to. So far Washington state has been OK but I am willing to move.

Peter you never said what is your intent is? what are you looking for? Outdoor activities, city entertainment, bridge night at a retirement community, hunting/fishing, hot cold or dont care about the weather? are you looking to just put your feet up and relax... I do remember you said you walked everyday but that was several years ago, how about hike the Appalachian trail, I will someday and just day trips

Congratulations on your retirement Peter, and thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with the forum through your Mathcad worksheets and Youtube channel. Many people would have kept that information to themselves or within their company. I have probably learned more from following your posts and trying to emulate the approach that you take to solving control problems mathematically and through simulation than from every other source combined, including university.
It must give you a great sense of achievement to have created such a polished and well thought out product which, in my experience, is an order of magnitude more capable and user friendly than any other motion control product I have encountered.

Glad to hear of your retirement. I have been amazed by your knowledge and 99% of it is way over my head. Most people donÂ’t understand the amount of dedication and discipline it takes to truly get to this point.

You can always come to the South. They always say if you donÂ’t like the weather here just wait 2 days and it will be completely different. Plus the dollar goes very far down here. 4 hour drive to a tropical beach or 4 hours drive to a nice mild mountain, a city just big enough to be a city but not too big to be a chitty.

Retiree

Congratulations Peter

When I retried I made myself a deal, I could retire if I remodeled the home we bought a couple years back. instead of having it done by a contractor, so I retired early. It's been a lot of fun and I saved a chunk of money.

I'm sure you will find something to keep yourself busy. Good luck finding your retirement home, we live on the central coast of California and love it.

Bob

Let me add a "me too" to the offer buy you a drink (and put you up in the event you need a break from "life on the small" in the RV) if you ever come to scenic Rochester.

My 1967 Rhodes Bantam may be restored by then, so maybe a bit of sailing too.