Wire (24 VDC)

I am sure it is clear as mud now....

And its just getting darker, I think this is why we all have meters :)

Brown +
Blue -
White Outputs
Black Inputs

I think its one those things that once you start you try and stay with it (right or wrong)

https://xkcd.com/927/ :

standards.png

White is only and always AC neutral.
Green is only and always ground.
Brown for DC+
Blue for DC common

That's our standards this month.

So what do you do if the AC neutral is grounded ? Pale Green ?

And if DC common is grounded, Pale Blue ?

Okay, I know "ground" means "protective ground", just having a chuckle ....

So what do you do if the AC neutral is grounded ? Pale Green ?

And if DC common is grounded, Pale Blue ?

Okay, I know "ground" means "protective ground", just having a chuckle ....

The AC neutral has a white wire and a green wire landed on the transformer secondary. The white wire carries current and goes to terminal blocks for distribution. The green wire goes to the grounding strip.

I don't ground DC common, but when I do ;) , I run a green wire from the ground strip to the power supply (-) terminal in addition to the blue wire that carries current.

If it's green (and not part of some mfg. multi-conductor cable) it is grounded and is not supposed to carry any current. If it is white, it should have the same potential as ground and does carry AC current.

An alternative to all the above and easier to stock, black wire and a rainbow assortment of elect tape on hand.:ROFLMAO:

I think there's probably as many ways to wire as people to do the wiring, bring a good meter (some even autodetect AC/DC!) and a very few assumptions.

Around these parts, black and red together are probably DC, blue wires might be DC, unless part of the red/black/blue combination. Black wires by themselves are fair game. A white wire is usually a neutral, but not always.

Around these parts, black and red together are probably DC, blue wires might be DC, unless part of the red/black/blue combination. Black wires by themselves are fair game. A white wire is usually a neutral, but not always.

This equation holds true for standards ...

1 + n = 0, where n > 0

Really? Was pretty sure this was a common practice in homes with Romex and 3-way switches a white wire usually gets taped off as black.

There is an exception in NEC for 3 ways switches and Romex, and I believe the tape color is grey.

I guess we aren't very standard..
Red for 24VDC
Brown for 0VDC
Grey for analog signals

Black for Phase

Blue for N

Violet for pot free
Yellow/Green for ground

Can someone please explain to me the thought processes behind these colour changes (UK), and I'm certain there's a graphical error on this snagged picture ....

EDIT : It's not a graphical error, the text explains it....

" Neutral: White or Grey (USA)"

2021-01-29_202135.jpg

Last edited:
Just to make things more fun, here in BC at least not sure about other provinces, the local supply authority (BC Hydro) uses Brown as L1, and forbids the use of black wires anywhere. As far as I know, this is only within their distribution network, and once it reaches customer supply it is normal Red Black Blue White Green colours.

The picture represents wire colors in CABLE, "UK New" is in fact EU standard.

Can someone please explain to me the thought processes behind these colour changes (UK), and I'm certain there's a graphical error on this snagged picture ....

EDIT : It's not a graphical error, the text explains it....

" Neutral: White or Grey (USA)"