Axis Alarm Excessive Velocity Error

nathanb

Hey guys, I new to PLCs and I am having trouble with a motor I have running with kinetix 5500. I have a program trying to go through a homing AOI (written by someone else from Allen Bradley I believe) but while it runs it makes a "clicking noise" twice at the same point every rotation. When the homing is complete, I can no longer run the motor and I have an error in the fault log saying "Axis Alarm Excessive Velocity Error" and "Axis Alarm Excessive Position Error" when I try to jog or move the axis. If I clear the AOI values and go into Axis Properties > Autotune and toggle the Velocity Inegrator Bandwidth and click start Perform Tune: the motor clicks twice just like during the homing process and now I have jog and move the motor without any issues or "click" noises. I do not know why this fixes it or what it even does (I don't know how to tune a motor). As long has I don't run the AOI the motor seems to run fine.
https://docdro.id/nUQ8mpI (AOI)
https://docdro.id/lXZgWpB (error code)
https://docdro.id/F70hvVB (Homing Routine: The home in runs and sends a PC bit, but the home out encounters an error at sequence 9050)
Edit: I was able to get the Home out sequence to not immediately get an error by changing the torque value, but now it is stuck on sequence 70 with the axis.positionerror climbing indefinitely

Last edited:
I would start by building a trending chart with the particular points you are getting alarms on, as well as positioning. Let it run for a while and try to capture the fault. Can you initiate manual commands? Right click the Motion Axis group in the ladder on the left, near the IO configuration, all of the available motion commands should be in there. Execute with caution, as these directly bypass any programming. I don't know what that AOI looks like, might be worth digging into it a bit more and confirming it is doing proper homing commands.

I would start by building a trending chart with the particular points you are getting alarms on, as well as positioning. Let it run for a while and try to capture the fault. Can you initiate manual commands? Right click the Motion Axis group in the ladder on the left, near the IO configuration, all of the available motion commands should be in there. Execute with caution, as these directly bypass any programming. I don't know what that AOI looks like, might be worth digging into it a bit more and confirming it is doing proper homing commands.

Thank you for the insight. You were right about the AOI. I had invalid numbers for the AOI that I adjusted and eventually got to working. Or least allowed the homing to complete.