Trouble going online with Contrologix Windows 7 OS

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have an acd that was created in RSLogix 5000 v.21 with Windows 7 OS. I don't have a laptop with Windows 7 nor do I have a VM with it. I am trying to go online with a contrologix PLC however, it will only allow me the option to download to the processor, not upload. As I mentioned, I have (from the OEM) the project that is running in the processor. IF I were to perform this download I am pretty sure there will be negative consequences (ie....system will no longer function?), what must I do so that I may safely perform this? I would like to use a more current version of Studio5k but I believe that may require firmware flashes to my servo hardware as well as PLC rack and distributed I/O, correct? Thank you

Hello all. I have an acd that was created in RSLogix 5000 v.21 with Windows 7 OS. I don't have a laptop with Windows 7 nor do I have a VM with it. I am trying to go online with a contrologix PLC however, it will only allow me the option to download to the processor, not upload. As I mentioned, I have (from the OEM) the project that is running in the processor. IF I were to perform this download I am pretty sure there will be negative consequences (ie....system will no longer function?), what must I do so that I may safely perform this? I would like to use a more current version of Studio5k but I believe that may require firmware flashes to my servo hardware as well as PLC rack and distributed I/O, correct? Thank you

Yes, downloading is something to avoid unless you have a VERY recent backup!

When you try to connect, and it asks you to download, what version does it say that the controller is? If you have V21 loaded on your PC (which windows version does not matter, the Logix version matters) and the controller is running V21 then it should offer to upload changes.

If the controller is NOT v21, then you need to load the version of logix that it is using and try again

Lastly, try using Logix without loading the PLC program from the OEM. Just try going online. It may let you upload that way. You can then open the program from the OEM, export the documentation, them import into your saved-from-the-controller program.

Good luck, and let us know what you figure out.

As for upgrading to a newer version, you are correct. Usually a firmware upgrade requires upgrading the intelligent modules - serve controllers, ethernet cards, and other communication modules. I have not had to upgrade the firmware on an IO card unless it does it's own timestamping.

When you try to connect, and it asks you to download, what version does it say that the controller is? If you have V21 loaded on your PC (which windows version does not matter, the Logix version matters) and the controller is running V21 then it should offer to upload changes.

Thank you for the reply. I had previously posted the question about going online with this processor w/o the original .acd. I have the correct version of RS5000 on my laptop however, due to security issues with Windows 10 OS. Even the OEM has to use a VM with Windows 7 on it in order to go online with the processor. Someone here showed me a work-around and I can get it to at least see the processor however, it will not allow me an upload option, only download.

Is there some security setting on the PLC that could prevent uploading the file? I've not encountered this before, if you can connect to the PLC, you should be able to upload whatever logic is has. In the case of logix 500 you'll be missing documentation in the form of symbols and address labels, but logix 5000 (or studio) should include those data in the tag database during the upload.