Factory View Studio ME and Logix 500

Robb B

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello everyone, I'm starting a re-do of a controls system HMI using a panelview plus 7, and would like to improve the interface. I want to implement popup windows for pumps and valves, controls to start/stop and open/close respectively. I think I've got the idea for the popups, using a goto display button using the valve or pump as the image.

Is this the best approach? Any suggestions to watch out for with regards to Logix 500 (SLC 5/05's)?

I'd like to try to use global objects, since there is about 20+ items to control. I have been reviewing the literature, and I think since I am using Logix 500, I have to create my own tags within View Studio, which I've done by reading the I/O files and descriptions.

I have never used global objects before, so I'm not really sure where the next place to start is. All the examples I've found show using Logix 5000 and the tags built-in or inherited from those projects. Rockwell mentions "AID 36816" in one of their videos, but no amount of google-fu or rockwell searching has revealed it's existence.

Last edited:
I've been reading into it and playing around. I want to see if I understand it correctly. I'll be using a GoTo Display button to open a "Generic" Display popup. I get the list of possible Display buttons from a parameters list, I call it "Device Labels". Within the "Generic" display I put tag placeholders for various status, opened, closed, running, stopped, etc. Have I got this understanding correctly? If so, I think the only time I've saved is in the drawing of each display window, as I'm still having to type names and labels.