Output of Joystick

Lay95

Hi all,
I have a function where I have to use Joystick to control the solenoid valve. I am using Joystick as an input to PLC(micro820 or micro850 Allen Bradley) and the solenoid valve(24VDC) at the output of PLC.
The input of joystick is 24Vdc. I am not sure what output should I consider for the Joystick.
1)0-100%
2) 4-20mA
3) 0-10Vdc

Operation:- The solenoid valve is controlling the hydraulic cylinder. The joystick is 1-way 2-position vertical up & down. (I am thinking of using - https://www.gsglobalresources.com/product/control/curtiss-wright-jc150/).
The vertical up position will open the solenoid valve and cylinder will move in forward direction.
The vertical down position will open up the solenoid valve (valve is double acting and hydraulic power unit with motor is used for the cylinder) and cylinder will move in reverse direction.

Can you please suggest me and let me know if you have any question.
Thanks.

If I have the option of mA over volts I choose mA.

If the terminals or connections get corroded over time a voltage of 0.1 to 1.3 might not be enough to get through, then suddenly 1.4 goes. (1.3 & 1.4 are examples, depending on the corrosion it will vary.)

A mA signal always has at least 12 volts, and commonly 24. If there is a corrosion problem the transmitter will try to increase the output to make it the proper level.

if all you want to do is open - close a solenoid
just use a joy stick with contacts up closed one contact and down closes another
I just put one on a clients machine

automation direct less then $50
keep it simple

Thanks for the reply.

@ I_Automation, mA as an input signal to PLC and then solenoid valve can be controlled (open or close). Also what logic I have to create (scaling it, scalar function, etc) or use any of the function during logic?

@ GaryS, actually the sensors are used to monitor the cylinder which will send signal to PLC and according to it, operator will use the joystick to open/close the solenoid valve, and that valve will move the cylinder forward or backward. (customer requirements).

Please let me know if you have any question while giving the suggestion.

Thanks once again.

I did a crane system a few years ago the requirements was similar to yours
Automated control
positioning control
Obstacle collision avoidance ( Zone Restrictions )
And direct control of all functions should the plc fail
The operator controls were 2 joy stick controls 2 axis on each ach direction had 4 switches
Direction control
Low speed
Medium Speed
High Speed
Each Forward- Reverse 3 axis control Bridge, Trolley, Hoist Clam Shell Open –Close
3 switches on each axis did the job nicely the operators were very happy with the result
All you need are switched in to the PLC keep it simple

I agree with Gary, use digital, there are a few questions.
Is the solenoid 2 way 5 port (centre off) i.e. if forward energise stops does the cylinder stop in position or continue to travel to end.
here we are assuming it is not analogue control.
If it was say 4-20ma or some other analogue positioning then you could still use contacts just increment or decrement a value with the digital signal, this could also be tailored i.e. if the signal is say 0-100% then profile it for example increment + 1 then increase to +5 and near end of travel reduce the increments (same goes for reverse).

Another thought if it is analog - an 'enable' pushbutton for the PLC to respond and ignore anyone bumping the joystick.

If safety is a concern maybe for digital input as well.

I did a crane system a few years ago the requirements was similar to yours
Automated control
positioning control
Obstacle collision avoidance ( Zone Restrictions )
And direct control of all functions should the plc fail
The operator controls were 2 joy stick controls 2 axis on each ach direction had 4 switches
Direction control
Low speed
Medium Speed
High Speed
Each Forward- Reverse 3 axis control Bridge, Trolley, Hoist Clam Shell Open –Close
3 switches on each axis did the job nicely the operators were very happy with the result
All you need are switched in to the PLC keep it simple
Thanks GaryS.

I don't have to control speed. The main function of joystick is to open the solenoid valve. My purpose is, just move joystick up which will open solenoid valve and the cylinder will move in forward direction.
Similarly, move joystick down which will open the solenoid valve (the hydraulic flow will be in reverse direction) and the cylinder will move in reverse direction.

And sorry if I confusing you.
Thanks once again.

I agree with Gary, use digital, there are a few questions.
Is the solenoid 2 way 5 port (centre off) i.e. if forward energise stops does the cylinder stop in position or continue to travel to end.
here we are assuming it is not analogue control.
If it was say 4-20ma or some other analogue positioning then you could still use contacts just increment or decrement a value with the digital signal, this could also be tailored i.e. if the signal is say 0-100% then profile it for example increment + 1 then increase to +5 and near end of travel reduce the increments (same goes for reverse).
Thanks Parky.

The solenoid valve is 2-way 4 port (centre off) i.e. if the forward energise stops, the cylinder stop in position and same for the reverse direction. if the reverse energise stops, the cylinder stops in position.
I am thinking to make a digital control as joystick is only used to open and close the solenoid valve. So I guess there is no need of any increment or decrement.
As the hydraulic motor unit will maintain the flow which will control the speed of cylinder.
So I was confused what output should I keep in mind for Joystick.

Thanks once again.

Another thought if it is analog - an 'enable' pushbutton for the PLC to respond and ignore anyone bumping the joystick.

If safety is a concern maybe for digital input as well.
Thanks I_Automation.

That's a good idea.
So here you mean to add a pushbutton to allow the operator to use the joystick, am I right?

Thanks.

Thanks I_Automation.

That's a good idea.
So here you mean to add a pushbutton to allow the operator to use the joystick, am I right?

Thanks.

Yes, and if a safety application the pushbutton should be far enough away from the joystick that it requires the other hand.

On stamping presses the standard for 2 buttons is 18" apart, so no finger/elbow combination can be used.

Yes, and if a safety application the pushbutton should be far enough away from the joystick that it requires the other hand.

On stamping presses the standard for 2 buttons is 18" apart, so no finger/elbow combination can be used.
Thanks I_Automation.

I will keep in mind while designing it.

Thanks.