Uploading from live plc

roberto764

Hi All,

Just a quick question. Still fairly new to Stuido 5000. I have a AB L33ER that is currently running as we speak and I need to make some changes to the program.

Will uploading the current program in the plc to my laptop cause the plc to stop or reset?

Thanks

Hi All,

Just a quick question. Still fairly new to Stuido 5000. I have a AB L33ER that is currently running as we speak and I need to make some changes to the program.

Will uploading the current program in the plc to my laptop cause the plc to stop or reset?

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!
No, uploading to your computer will not cause any problems with the running of the program or any processes. HOWEVER, if you make changes, you MUST download the program and then IT WILL stop the program. So be careful with that. Most changes may be made while on line with rung edits. If you're not familiar with how to do that, you may be able to watch some YouTube videos detailing that process. Hope this helps and good luck.

Uploading will not affect the running process.

If you are going to do offline edits, I recommend you bring the process to a halt at a homed position before uploading and then again before downloading to avoid some potential issues.

Uploading will not affect the running process.

If you are going to do offline edits, I recommend you bring the process to a halt at a homed position before uploading and then again before downloading to avoid some potential issues.

Can't stress this enough. Also try to be aware of how recent your offline copy is if you plan on making changes to it and downloading to the controller. Short of online edits, the most ideal would be to stop the process, upload to your computer, make the changes and redownload. If you have an old copy of the program, the tag values may be completely different, which could throw off something minor like totalizers or something major like where a machine is in a sequence. Just something that I try to keep in mind at all times when making changes to controllers.

Details
Make sure you not only save the online file but there is a another prompt for upload data tables and say yes to that too.

If you want to be really safe you can make your changes off line. Verify the off line program, then export the changes you want to make, then import the changes into the online program. When you want to enable the changes just stop the system, complete the edits then restart the system. This way there is no chance of you fat fingering changes offline, like accidently deleting rung and tags.

I’m a bit late to this one but thanks for the help. I had some changes to make and I wanted to save some time and make them while we were running and them download them after we shut the line down.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!!
No, uploading to your computer will not cause any problems with the running of the program or any processes. HOWEVER, if you make changes, you MUST download the program and then IT WILL stop the program. So be careful with that. Most changes may be made while on line with rung edits. If you're not familiar with how to do that, you may be able to watch some YouTube videos detailing that process. Hope this helps and good luck.

Ummmm.... if he's not familiar with ANY of this, YouTube is probably not where I'd send him for guidance.
YouTube is great for lots of stuff, but modifying a running PLC program isn't one of them, IMNTBHO

jdbrandt;879129.......YouTube is probably not where I'd send him for guidance. YouTube is great for lots of stuff said:
Bad mouthing all the experts on YouTube that are kind enough to share their knowledge with the world?

Seriously - there is one computer 'expert' putting out some videos of absolute **** to do to a computer. In one he showed how to get free cable by taping old CD's back to back, running the cable through a few pairs every 6" right into your TV, no cable box needed. It was so ridiculous I actually had to get some old CD's just to laugh. How a few CD's are going to convert the cable microwave frequency signal to TV frequencies was absurd.

Bad mouthing all the experts on YouTube that are kind enough to share their knowledge with the world?

Seriously - there is one computer 'expert' putting out some videos of absolute **** to do to a computer. In one he showed how to get free cable by taping old CD's back to back, running the cable through a few pairs every 6" right into your TV, no cable box needed. It was so ridiculous I actually had to get some old CD's just to laugh. How a few CD's are going to convert the cable microwave frequency signal to TV frequencies was absurd.

What... you never heard of Parametric Reflective Interpolative Conversion Signaling?