PF755 Drives for position control without motion

I have 5 x Powerflex 755 drives to position control in a non motion controller. Would anyone be able to point me to some links or sample applications how to:

1. Set up the Universal card for encoders and Parameters of interest.

2. How to sync 4 devices somewhat accurately using the encoders. I'm told there is is a AOI that exists for this in a non linear application.

Yaskawa A1000
I have used them to replace servo systems I am sure they will do what you want
they have replaced them with the G800 series I haven't used any of those yet but I would expect they will do the job

Dive into the 755 programming manual and look for the application parameter groups.

I'm developing an AOI right now for this drive (just not that particular application...yet).

Synchronized drives with a PF755 is not a new thing. Complex enough to where you are likely to not get many responses on the forum because of the lack of abundance of applications.

However, the documentation is out there and readily available if you’re willing to put the work into it.

Sparky
I can show you on a machine where I replaced the the original servo drives with the A1000
in addition have have done countless crane hoisting applications with then where I sespend the load on the motor also positioning
the next application you have for positioning contact me and ill how you how it's done
it no different then working with a servo just cheaper

there are a lot of thing not in the manual
Yaskawa has introduced the matrix U1000 full line regen
on cranes I use a rebranded A1000 Impulse Drive By Electromotive My normal stop on a hoist application is to stop the motion for about 5 sec and then set the brake with this method I have almost no brake pad ware. I have been doing that for many years without any problems
for positioning it is easy to use and uses all standard hardware
with all these I set them up as Flux Vector operation
the have a function "Zero Speed" will hold position
I have maintained o.ooo1 in on machine centers

if you are interested pm me and I will get back to you

So in other words, a standard A1000 doesn’t do positioning it sounds like.
The zero speed is not a “position controller”

interesting that you think that a drive of any kind is a positioning drive by it's self
a servo drive has less capability then a VFD they all require a controller of some kind to do positioning
Yaskawa dos have indexing firmware for the A1000 and I would think it would be available for the new Q500 as well.
if suspending a load on a crane hoist at zero motion doesn't qualify for positioning then nothing ever will
I have worked on NC and CNC mills and many other applications that require both very low speed control and position holding all with out a problem
I recently replace a burned out servo drive in a milling machine with a A1000
they run it every day the normal milling speed is .5 hz or less
you are free to think what you want and do what you want but I am absolutely sure of what I can do and your posts show your ability
a 30Ton load on a crane hoist, with the brake released and holding at zero speed should say something
if you need more proof then hire me to come in show you

There are absolutely positioning servo drives(and even VFD drives). It is quite common. Don't be a jerk, you are showing your lack of ability and knowledge.

Last edited:
Sparky
I just asked a question like you did
Did I say something about his mama? :)

I’m getting ready to interface with one, so I was curious

I believe we asked several times about the A1000 being a positioning drive. He never answered that question but proceeded to tell us about other ventures. Without leaving my office chair I can see 7 positioning servo drives, one of which can run induction motors. Sorry, none are Rockwell...

Who cares about Yaskawa?

I posted this in the hope for a little digout regarding PF755 drives from Rockwell. I'm not going to swap the drives for A1000's just because they can do position control.

Definitely willing to put the work in. I have the drive control part working as I'm using the PlantPax P755 AOI so no problem there. I'm used the 755/753 a ton of times just not in an application requiring positioning where encoders where involved.

Is anyone aware of a Rockwell AOI for synchronizing drives?