IP address Help

Cherokee 96

Hi all,

I need to find all the IP address on my Plant network.
Rslinx shows me only Rockwell devices.
I tried arp -a , same as Rslinx.
It does show me IP addresses of automation direct HMIs, Ifix or pcs running rsview32.

Is there anyway I can find all the Ip address on the plant network ?

Thanks

XJ

There's a nice piece of software that will do just that. It is called the "Angry IP scanner". Install on laptop or PC, works a treat.

Mind you, last time I needed it there was some antivirus software that tagged it as malware. Back then this was incorrect, a false positive, and they had a hard time getting the AV software makers to change their mind on it. You may want to check that when giving this a try.

As Toine suggested, there are plenty of IP scanners on the market. If you have a networking team in your plant they might be able to help you out too.

As long as you know the first octet, you can potentially change your subet mask to 255.0.0.0 and discover all devices. It'll take probably DAYS, but it might work.
Also, if you can make the mask more specific, you cut your discovery time exponentially.

There's a nice piece of software that will do just that. It is called the "Angry IP scanner". Install on laptop or PC, works a treat.

Mind you, last time I needed it there was some antivirus software that tagged it as malware. Back then this was incorrect, a false positive, and they had a hard time getting the AV software makers to change their mind on it. You may want to check that when giving this a try.

^What Toine said. Angry IP Scanner is an excellent choice. It's too bad you don't have any kind of network documentation listing all of the Ethernet devices on your network and have to go through all this work.

Angry IP Scanner is great but relies on ICMP being enabled or a common TCP or UDP port being open so might not pick up EVERY device on the network but its a good starting point.

Also be aware.. I.T. MIGHT call you if you initiate a IP scan. Tends to flag network monitoring when a massive amount of pings are sent out....

Also be aware.. I.T. MIGHT call you if you initiate a IP scan. Tends to flag network monitoring when a massive amount of pings are sent out....

IT guys hate this ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Seriously, though. Network monitoring products are great in principle, but if there is any kind of IT team in place, you want to work with them on this. They may already have a high quality solution you can use that can pull diagnostics and things in addition to just "does it exist". Most of them would consider something like a ping scan as a cybersecurity intruision unless they knew about it ahead of time.