Electronic Keying issue

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a CompactLogix running RSL5k v.20.05 that is controlling a case packing machine. I added a Keyence vision sensor/camera to this controller just using a generic e-net module. I originally set this up on my bench top unit and had no issues at all, same version of RSL5k. For some reason, integrating it with the actual PLC I get the lovely yellow triangle with the middle-finger (!) and the comment below says it's an electronic keying mismatch. There isn't anywhere in the properties dialog box where I can disable electronic keying. How do I clear this so it will allow this module to run? Thank you

In my experience disabling the keying doesn't help if the wrong type of module is chosen. For example, if we define a DC input module, but in the chassis we have a DC output module. Disabling keying doesn't get around the wrong category of module. Are you sure that the module definition in your I/O is correct for the device in the field?

Can you tell us the error message for the module? Maybe show us how the generic module definition is setup along with the model of the Keyence system.

OG

In my experience disabling the keying doesn't help if the wrong type of module is chosen. For example, if we define a DC input module, but in the chassis we have a DC output module. Disabling keying doesn't get around the wrong category of module. Are you sure that the module definition in your I/O is correct for the device in the field?

Can you tell us the error message for the module? Maybe show us how the generic module definition is setup along with the model of the Keyence system.

OG
It's a Keyence IV2-G30F Vision sensor amplifier with IV2-G300CA vision sensor. I have it set up the exact same for my bench unit as what is in the machine, same version of s-ware, same EDS...... . I won't be able to go online with the processor again for a little while so I can't get the exact code. The text said "Electronic Keying mismatch". Why it works on the bench PLC but not on the machine unit is what's really mystifying to me.

Seems very bizarre to get a keying mismatch error for a generic module. Can you post pics of your module setup and the I/O configuration tree?

If you disconnect the sensor from the network do you get a connection timeout error instead of the mismatch error?

Seems very bizarre to get a keying mismatch error for a generic module. Can you post pics of your module setup and the I/O configuration tree?

If you disconnect the sensor from the network do you get a connection timeout error instead of the mismatch error?

It will be little bit before I am able to go online with it again to perform the connection test. I will be able to post my config tree at the same time.

Electronic keying mismatch is usually only part of the error message. It typically tells you if it is a product code or a firmware mismatch. I believe it verifies vendor, product category, part number, and revision. If any of those aren't right, you get the mismatch error. Then the error message tells you which it is.

When you talk about your bench setup, is it the same sensor but a different PLC, or is this two different PLCs and two different sensors? Just trying to narrow down where things are going sideways.

OG

When you talk about your bench setup, is it the same sensor but a different PLC, or is this two different PLCs and two different sensors? Just trying to narrow down where things are going sideways.

OG
The only difference is the bench is a 5335E and actual is a 5336ERM. So, the only difference in the properties of this device are that the bench shows the parent as LocalENB and actual shows Local as the parent.

I hate it when folks jump to "you're experiencing a bug" before the details are all in, but... you might be experiencing a bug with my name on it.

In version 20.x of RSLogix 5000, there is a possibility for a Generic Ethernet Module to get the Exact Keying setting turned on inadvertently if the Connection Type or Size was changed after creation of the module.

Because it's a Generic Ethernet Module, there's no checkbox in RSLogix 5000 to turn that feature off. Our colleagues are correct that Generic Ethernet Modules don't support electronic keying.

The workaround was:

• Delete the Generic Ethernet Module in the I/O tree.
  • Save the project as *.L5K
  • Open the *.L5K file to create a *.ACD project file from it.
  • Create the Generic Ethernet Module in the I/O tree, being careful to set the Connection Type and Size correctly the first time.

Electronic keying mismatch is usually only part of the error message. It typically tells you if it is a product code or a firmware mismatch. I believe it verifies vendor, product category, part number, and revision. If any of those aren't right, you get the mismatch error. Then the error message tells you which it is.

OG
OG, this is what it shows:

View attachment IV2 coms error.bmp

I hate it when folks jump to "you're experiencing a bug" before the details are all in

I was very tempted to jump to it being a bug just from it being a keying mismatch on a generic module, as I was pretty sure that shouldn't be possible. Wanted to rule out any other possibilities before saying it had to be a bug, but glad to have confirmation of a known issue that can cause it.