New HMI project need help

stayclashy80

Hey guys,

So I'm working on a new project adding an HMI and need some help. So far what I figured out is I'm going to buy a large 85" LCD TV hook it up via HDMI to a KVM extender then hook this up to a Dell PC. The Dell PC will have TIA V14 software on it. Where I need help is how do I connect the Dell PC to the network so it can talk to all the PLC's and get data from all of them. Do I need a special siemens gateway device to go between the Dell PC and my network switch? At my last job we used Wonderware Intouch HMI's and all I had to do was connect the ethernet straight from the PC to the network switch. We had a Level 1 network that all of our plcs were on so I could connect to any plc's with the 1 HMI. I looked at all the PLC's I want to connect to here at my current job and they all have the same Subnet address of 10.233.153.xxx. I'm guessing that means when I get my new Dell PC on the network and on that same subnet I will be able to communicate with all those plc's? Using the TIA V14 software will I be able to communicate with S7-300, 400, 1200, 1500 and old S5 plcs. I'm halfway talking to myself out loud. I think I know what I'm doing but would love to hear any suggestions or help. This will be my first time doing something like this with Siemens

I'm not experienced with Siemens PLCs, but most applications like yours that I've come across only required the PC to be connected to the same network as the PLC(s). So plugged into a switch that's also connected to any PLC you want to communicate with on your 10.233.153.xxx network. Someone experienced with Siemens may know of a wrinkle, but in my experience it's pretty simple.

I think you will find that some 300 or 400's that were early models may not like TIA, You could probably view / monitor but not make changes.

When you say HMI, are you talking something like a TP panel or a version of WinCC running on a PC? Or, some other software? You should be able to display data from all the models except for the S5 ones, not sure about those.

I have several older S7-300's still running "classic" Step-7 but using modern HMI panels configured with TIA portal.

i think you are looking at everything all at once.
may i suggest that you look at each segment of the project.
you have multiple plc's and need data from each of them.
i would use an interface to place the data into a SQL table.
we did html programming to put the data into a webpage and ran a program on multiple pc's to see the webpage.
if this is not what you meant, please break it down for me.
james