Barcode to Excel to PLC

wfo

I am trying to get a digital output based on a barcode read. The scan talks to an IBM AS400 where it is verified as good or bad, if it is a bad scan the AS400 throws a 1 in an excel cell on a PC. I need to get an output to sound an alarm when that happens. I have a Direct Logic 05 PLC with Ethernet, and KEPDirect for PLC. When I get this to work they will be speread out all over the plant making an expensive application like Wonderware unreasonable. I have also tried Wago Field Bus but I dont write VB or C# so I can't make it work either. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Are you wanting the PC to supply a digital signal to the PLC?

I can possibly give you a very quick VB example to turn on a signal line of a parallel port which can then be fed to a solid state relay. Then use the output of the relay to feed a signal ti the PLC.

This would be a very cheap way to do it, but only if your PC has a parallel port.

That's a great "down and dirty" approach! I used a cheap USB controller connected to relay boards for a similar application - (computer controlled automated bar as a fun project).

Archie said:
Are you wanting the PC to supply a digital signal to the PLC?

I can possibly give you a very quick VB example to turn on a signal line of a parallel port which can then be fed to a solid state relay. Then use the output of the relay to feed a signal ti the PLC.

This would be a very cheap way to do it, but only if your PC has a parallel port.

wfo

I have attached an example excel file to do the job.

There is another file named inpout32.dll that needs to be copied to the directory :

C:\Windows\system32

This is the driver that allows excel to access the parallel port hardware.

If you change cell A2's value to a 1, then output comes on, otherwise it goes off.

In Excel, if you go to Tools->Macro->Visual Basic Editor you will see the code. You may need to edit the address of the parallel port. It is explained in the comments on the code.

I will post a video and details of a board I use that gives relay outputs.

Video of it in action

Ok, here is a link to a video to show the above attached files in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQU5atBgGY

The following link is the board I used:

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1712/.f

I also got a cable part # BB040 for $5

It requires a 12V power supply. I ordered part # BB151, but found out that it does not supply enough current to keep all 8 relays energized for more that 10 seconds before going into shutdown.