RS logix 5000 communications

HeadlessEng

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up the ability to alter the set-point temperature on a Piovan TH0118-F unit through the PLC. I've set up and configured a Moxa N-port Express DE-311 to connect the Piovan to the PLC. When I use RS who i can browse to the Moxa device and it appears as an unrecognized device. 🔨
I'm not sure what the next step is to get it working.
Is it possible to get the PLC to send a hex code through the Moxa device to the Piovan unit?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
HeadlessEng

I would guess you need to install the EDS so that RSLinx will recognize it?

Do you have an eds file for it?

I don't think that will help your IO tree, often with random devices you need to set up a custom device in the io tree of a controllogix plc, then set the input/output/configuration sizes according to their requirements.

I can't seem to find an EDS file for it. I've gotten onto Moxa but no reply yet.
Edit: Got a response from Moxa, there is no EDS file for the device. Back to square 1.

Last edited:
Hi, you don't need an EDS to read in the IO tree.

But you do need their input to setting up a custom device in the IO tree, I assume from what you've posted before that it is an ab ethernet cip device as it appears on rslinx rswho. I can only assume that have some sort of gateway include for example an anybus module.

edit: ok you said the Moxa N-port Express DE-311 is the gateway. You need to set it up then match the allen bradley to it. See the picture.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I don't seem to be able to create a generic ethernet module in the PLC. It is not showing up on the module type list. I've checked the add-on list on the rockwell website and can't find it there either. Thanks for the help so far!

please post your PLC controller model number and rockwell software revision number or PLC IO tree for further help.

Last edited:
Ok, you need to take a giant step back and regroup.

Speaking in generality, whenever you want to make two device talk to each other, they need to be able to understand each other. In the networking world, such scheme is typically expressed by the 7 layer model. However, that tend to be more complex than needed in the control world so I usually tell folks to visually the 3 layers as in:

1. Application: the device has to have the ability to communicate to others. For example, in AB Controlgix this means MSG, IO via EDS/Profile/Produced/Consumed.

2. Hardware: the cables. Both side need to accept the same medium or need a gateway.

3. Protocol: both side has to speak the same language or need a gateway.

People here knows AB PLC quite well but we need the model #. I can't find any info on this Piovan thing so you need to provide a lot more info on it.

We are using Logix 5571s controller on version 21 of logix 5000.

We are able to communicate with the Piovan unit using H-term through a serial connection to send a hex code.
I believe the Moxa N-port is the gateway between the devices, it has been configured to be on the same subnet as the PLC.
We are also lacking information on the Piovan unit, all we have is the manual we found online.