using studio5000 v20 or lower with v32 activation

Breadman

Hi all
I recently purchased an activation for version 32.01 STUDIO5000 std.
I am having issues running older versions such as version 16 off this activation.
I have read note 1083368 in the rockwell knowledge base which says ,to run an activation older then version 20, i must rehost to version 26.
After rehosting to version 26 it works i can use version 16 no issues.

In our bread plant however i am planning to do some upgrades and change from hitachi to compactlogix, the plc i purchase from rockwell will be version 32 and some of our current systems will be v16 and v17.

Must i rehost my activation every time i want to go from version 32 to version 16?

i have been in contact with the rockwell reps who have been very helpful so far but unfortunately haven't been able to solve my issue yet.

Has anyone else ran both these versions off the same activation and how did you do it?

I talked to Rockwell tech support about this and the tech told me that to support firmware < 20 and > 30 on the same computer would require two licenses.

This is a problem with FactoryTalk Activation and the underlying subsystems; after v26, Rockwell move to Wibu Systems "CodeMeter" instead of the older Flexera FlexLM activation system.

It's not an intentional "money grab". Time and technology march on even when we don't want them to.

The bad news is that to support systems prior to v20, you're going to have to use a separate activation server or separate activation. You can't run both <v20 and >v26 on the *same* computer.

Rockwell might come through with a commercial solution for Breadman; that's what we would have done with an end user who was migrating competitive systems to Logix in his facility when I was a Rockwell guy. Everything's negotiable.

I have some ControlLogix v16 systems in the field. We still use the original Everlock EVRSI activations with those, on PCs dedicated to the purpose. As those systems age, I'm dedicating VMs and backup images and old L61 controllers to support them, because they depend on a specific set of SERCOS firmware.

I went to check my system this morning.

I still have FactoryTalk Activation Manager 4.00.01 (vintage 2015) running on my desktop PC. It shows the CodeMeter stuff, but also still shows the activation files in the Activation folder, not "securely encrypted in the system somewhere and only accessible to CodeMeter".

I was able to activate RSLogix 5000 v18 with our networked license server, on an older VM that I use to support older control systems. I was able to activate Studio 5000 v31 on a newer VM.

I'm not sure what my FT Activation Manager version is on the server and I'm not sure how to find out. My guess is that we're still running 4.00.01 on the server, since the Knowledgebase says that this schism will appear with FT Activation 4.00.03.

Ken, we are running versions 16, 19, 20.04, 24, 30, 31 and 32 on six machines with one activation file on each machine...See post #5...Never heard or had such issues... Always installed the highest version first and then went down the list... Attached FTAM version pic...

FTAM.jpg

Last edited:
Ken, we are running versions 16, 19, 20.04, 24, 30, 31 and 32 on six machines with one activation file on each machine...See post #5...Never heard or had such issues... Always installed the highest version first and then went down the list... Attached FTAM version pic...

Thanks for clarifying that up, I was starting to get nervous because I recently installed v31.01.00 and had to update FTAM. After that, all versions seemed fine and I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. (The only thing that might be an issue is FTAM license server needs to be the newest, a newer FTAM doesn't like talking with an older version that is the license server.)

Ken Roach said:
The bad news is that to support systems prior to v20, you're going to have to use a separate activation server or separate activation. You can't run both <v20 and >v26 on the *same* computer.
Why do you say this? I just installed every version of Logix 5000/Studio 5000 from v13 through to v32 on one machine, and every version will launch and activate just fine. Even the most careless of butchers would be able to count on one hand the amount of times I've been right and Ken's been wrong about a Rockwell-related question, so perhaps I'm just misunderstanding?

I based that statement on the contents of the Knowledgebase document, talking about the newest FactoryTalk Activation Manager and the newest CodeMeter subsystem (4.0.3 ?). I assumed that my own experience was not relevant because I still have FTA 4.0.1.

But posts from other users seem to contradict the Knowledgebase, though Breadman's original post seems to support it.

I principally use a VM that's finally gotten to the point where it has enough different stuff on it that it's crashing and conflicting, so today is my "archive your project files and roll back the VM" day. Might learn some things about FT Activation Manager too.

After rehosting again to version 26 and speaking with the rockwell reps one more time. I was able to get v32 working on the v26 license allowing me access from v16 to v32. Im a little confused as it didn't seem to work before they came back to me with the answer, i wondered if they changed something on their end. or maybe i just didnt do something right the first time.
thanks for all your help

I based that statement on the contents of the Knowledgebase document, talking about the newest FactoryTalk Activation Manager and the newest CodeMeter subsystem (4.0.3 ?). I assumed that my own experience was not relevant because I still have FTA 4.0.1.
Interesting. My experience contradicts that tech note also. I do have a toolkit subscription, so perhaps there are actually two version of the activation and I have them both?

In any case, my FTAM is 4.03.03 and I've got v13...32 all working. I installed v13 first and worked my way through from oldest to newest (mostly).

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 8.30.02 am.png

Bump. Ran into this problem for the 1st time yesterday while setting up a repaired laptop.

This problem only shows up on locally hosted license. Borrowed license from a remote server doesn't seems to have an issue.

Also, set the hosted license to V26 allow ALL version of 5k and Studio to work for locally hosted system.

Bump. Ran into this problem for the 1st time yesterday while setting up a repaired laptop.

This problem only shows up on locally hosted license. Borrowed license from a remote server doesn't seems to have an issue.

Also, set the hosted license to V26 allow ALL version of 5k and Studio to work for locally hosted system.

We recently ran into this on our license server. I had rehosted all of our licenses to a new machine. I didn't really pay attention to the version number when I got the activations back onto the new server. I think they defaulted to version 32. Later one of our techs fought with the issue for hours. Finally figured out we needed to rehost them again and then choose v26 or lower when getting them back on the new server.

The symptoms were that when trying to open a newer version of Studio5k (31 and 32 I think, or maybe just v32) a pop up with two radio buttons would prompt the user to "activate now" or I forget the other choice. No matter what you chose, Stupido 5000 would just close.

With the licenses now rehosted as older versions, all versions from 15 through 31 appear to run fine.

Last edited: