RSlinx 2.53 with Vista support available

Contr_Conn

RSlinx 2.53 with limited Vista support available for download

From release notes:

The following features have been added in RSLinx Classic v2.53.00 (CPR 9):
- RSLinx Classic v2.53.00 (CPR 9) runs on the Microsoft Vista operating system with limitations. See Considerations when using RSLinx Classic with Windows Vista.

- Support for the 1784-U2DHP Communications Smart Cable.

- Support for 1756-RM Series A device.

- RSLinx Classic Lite v2.53.00 (CPR 9) now enables OPC connectivity to FactoryTalk View SE (local and remote), FactoryTalk View ME (local only), and FactoryTalk View Studio. RSLinx Classic for FactoryTalk View (formally RSLinx Classic for RSView) is only required when using RSLinx Classic v2.52.00 and earlier.
================================

Considerations when using RSLinx Classic with Windows Vista
Keep the following in mind when using RSLinx Classic v2.53.00 (CPR 9) with Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit) and Vista Home Basic (32-bit):
- RSLinx Classic must start as an application; RSLinx Classic will not start as a service.
- For RSLinx Classic to function as an OPC server, you must be logged on and RSLinx Classic must be running as an application.
The following communication drivers ARE supported and will be available on the Configure Drivers dialog:
- 1784-U2DHP for DH+
- RS-232 DF1 devices
- Ethernet devices
- Ethernet I/P Driver
- DF1 Polling Master Driver
- DF1 Slave Driver
- DeviceNet Drivers (1770-KFD, 1771-SDN, and 1747-SDN)
- Virtual Backplane (SoftLogix 58xx, USB)
- DH485 UIC devices
- SmartGuard USB Driver
- Remote Devices via Linx Gateway

The following communication drivers ARE NOT supported:
- 1784-KT/KTX(D)/PKTX(D)/PCMK for DH+/DH-485 devices
- 1784-KTC(X) for ControlNet devices
- 1784-PCC for ControlNet devices
- 1784-PCIC(S) for ControlNet devices
- 1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver
- S-S SD/SD2 for DH+ devices
- DeviceNet Drivers (1784-PCD/PCIDS)
- PLC-5 (DH+) Emulator
- SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver
- SoftLogix5 driver

The DF1 Polling Master Driver and DF1 Slave Driver do not support hardware handshaking control.

RSLinx Classic cannot be used on a Terminal Server.
There are specific considerations when running FactoryTalk Activation on Windows Vista. See Running FactoryTalk Activation on Windows Vista.
At the end of the RSLinx Classic installation, the installation program attempts to install the Rockwell Automation USB CIP Driver - this driver is used for Rockwell Automation USB devices and is represented by the 'Virtual Backplane (SoftLogix58xx, USB driver)' type on the Configure Drivers dialog. To successfully install this driver, you must select 'Install this driver software anyway' on the Windows Security dialog that is displayed.

RSLinx Classic will not start properly when it is configured to run as an administrator and you attempt to log on as a standard user.

When you run the Backup/Restore utility, the Restart RSLinx Classic when finished checkbox is not available on the Shutdown RSLinx Classic dialog box.

If you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled, you will be prompted to confirm your administrator privileges when executing the following RSLinx Classic-related tasks:
Running the Backup/Restore Utility
Running the OPC Test Client
Registering EDS files via the EDS Hardware Installation Tool
Saving related files (for example, the event log) to the C: drive on your computer. You will be instructed to save to an alternate drive location.

If you attempt to view the Support Services (support.hlp) or Activation (copyprot.hlp) information when using Microsoft Windows Vista Business (32-bit) or Vista Home Basic (32-bit), an error message is launched and the online help files are not displayed. To view the Support Services or Activation information, please see the Getting Results Guide for your product.

Thanks for that post.

I recently tried installing Factory Talk Studio V5 (or what ever RSView Studio is now called) on Vista Home Premium and that didn't go so well. I got a message that said "XP Home is not supported" and that was the end of that. It seemed like there were some services from Factory Talk that RSLogix 5000 needed, so that wouldn't install either.

So no luck for me with CPR9 and Vista Home Premium.

2.51 is working fine on Vista

Great post thanks Conr_Conn.

I have been using RSLinx 2.51 on Vista Business for a while.
My PCMK card is working fine too.

When installed, it always defaults to run as a service. This causes it to appear to do nothing when started. To fix it, run the "RSLinx Launch control panel" as administrator, and uncheck the "Always Run as Service" box. It then starts up and runs OK.

I am wondering if I should upgrade to 2.53, as it stated that the PCMK card is NOT supported. Does that mean it will not work, or just that they will not garantee it will work?

I suppose I am running RSLogix 500 and 5000 fine, and thy are not suported.
I will warn everybody now, do not waste time trying to intall RSView Studio on any version of Vista. There is a problem with the Factory Talk RS security ****. I am running that in a XP virtual PC, and it works fine.

If I could do it over, I would have got a laptop with XP, but you can get by with Vista. It is getting near impossible to get a laptop with a built in RS232 port in Australia, let alone one with XP on it.

Last edited:
Correction.. My PCMK card WAS working fine. I thought it was version 2.51. Maybe it was earlier.

I tried RSLinx 2.53, and there is no selection for PCMK. So I uninstalled, and then re-installed V2.51. The PCMK option is still missing.

It seems Rockwell want to sell me the USB DH+ unit. Pretty sly if you ask me. I can not see any other reason for the removal of the PCMK driver.

Last edited:
thefatcontroller said:
Correction.. My PCMK card WAS working fine. I thought it was version 2.51. Maybe it was earlier.

I tried RSLinx 2.53, and there is no selection for PCMK. So I uninstalled, and then re-installed V2.51. The PCMK option is still missing.

It seems Rockwell want to sell me the USB DH+ unit. Pretty sly if you ask me. I can not see any other reason for the removal of the PCMK driver.

I have ver. 2.51 and the option is there.
pcmkchoice.JPG

VerNumber.JPG

The driver selection is there as you point out, but the PCMK selection is not available in the configuration of that driver.
Selecting the KTX, does seem to use PCMK in the configuration. I can not get it to actually work. It keeps telling me the PCMK card is not installed, and goes into error.

Prior to my stupid attempt at an upgrade, the PCMK did work. I think now I will just give up, and use my old laptop on the odd occasion when I must access DH+.

thefatcontroller said:
The driver selection is there as you point out, but the PCMK selection is not available in the configuration of that driver.
Selecting the KTX, does seem to use PCMK in the configuration. I can not get it to actually work. It keeps telling me the PCMK card is not installed, and goes into error.

Prior to my stupid attempt at an upgrade, the PCMK did work. I think now I will just give up, and use my old laptop on the odd occasion when I must access DH+.

If I was to have the issue you are seeing, I would try shuting down RSLinx, then delete, Harmony.hrc and Harmony.rsh files.
They are, I believe cache files, and I know they get rebuilt when RSLinx starts.
Do a search on this site and you will see others have posted this suggetion as afix relating to RSLinx issues

Last edited:
I tried that. No good.

I was having many other problems with vista. I was haveing major problems with DeviceNet serial interface.
I fixed it all. I went out and bought a new hard drive and an XP CD. Works great. I don't know why I didn't do it a year ago.

I highly recommend this proceedure to anyone running Vista and working with Rockwell software.